Ch. 19: Sunrise

They sat there, completing themselves in silent, broken from the violence.

Nothing but the whispers of the damned echoed throughout the hallways and Tom had heard more than enough of it. A heartbroken man and a lonely woman, one of which was a sad mother and the other- a sad lover. Despite the undermining melancholy that sat between the two, there was hope.

"We'll make it, Polly, we just have to wait until breakfast time... that's when they'll show up" Tom said, trying to make up a conversation as the sun rose up, gently kissing the cursed building with its hopeful rays.

"Yeah, all we have to do is taunt them into betraying that piece of shit," Polly mumbled, still tired.

"Which will be easy, honestly, it's not like they already worship him. They're just here for the safety... like anyone else who isn't brainwashed by Tord, yet," Tom chuckled a little at that, remembering the good times he had with the Red Leader. This brought him to continue, "did I tell you that / I got him to wear a maid's outfit once?"

Polly jolted up and went wide-eyed, a sly grin crawled upon her face as she replied,

"No way!!"

"Yes way, girl. Ahaha, he had lost a bet and the loser had to wear a maid's outfit on Halloween. The sucker actually enjoyed it," Tom grinned back at Polly, who was now laughing with genuine glee.

The sun poured through the window as they both chuckled, happy in their misery. It brought warmth in their hearts and comfort in their veins, reassuring them that all would eventually work out.

A soft knock broke the laughter, a groggy voice spoke up,

"Breakfast service."

Polly and Tom both looked at each other and nodded.

"It's all right, open up" Tom replied, adrenaline rushing throughout his body.

As soon as the two soldiers walked in, Tom snagged them and pulled them in. Polly shut the door behind them, aware of how careful they had to be.

"Let go or I'll shoot!" One of the soldiers shouted, he was pointing a gun at them, shaking.

"Calm down shorty," the other replied and chuckled, "what can they possibly do to us, they're not armed and we are."

"Right, anyway, we're not here to cause havoc. We just need to know, what do you think about T- I mean.. The Red Leader," Tom spoke up and questioned the two. The recruits looked at each other and sighed,

"Awful man," they both whispered.

"Then why the fuck did you decided to go work for him!?" Polly hissed, obviously peeved.

"His men told us, including the other residents of my town, that if the wanted safety... they should join his army. Those who didn't accept... were shot down,"

"And the government lets him do this!?" Tom spat out, amazed at how terrible Tord could actually.

"During the past few weeks, he managed to overthrow the government and take over Norway, Russia, Finland and Sweden. By the time he got to our hometown, chaos had already declared its place as a dominant power. Others tried to take him down, but he's gaining a lot of power... fast." The short one spoke up, still horrified from the sights and his coworker saw.

" Bjørn and I chose to work for him, he offers shelter and money to our family. My beloved Anette and Camilla are safe and that's all that matters," The tallest sighed.

Polly bothered to read his name tag and added,

"But Eirik... how can you be so sure? I used to work for him... as soon as I tried to peacefully cut ties... he threatened to end my family. I had to turn myself in to keep them safe and even then... who knows if he is saying the truth. For all I know, my kids could be... they could be dead by now," her eyes welled up as tears began to form, thinking of such awful ideas often brought great dismay to the mother of two.