Exposure

The next school day, Halo arrived to see a bunch of kids surrounding a bulletin board. Curious, she went over to the gigantic crowd surrounding it. Halo frowned at what was there. There was a poster with Halo's picture on it saying "Halo Cross: Lab Rat", then a written statement by Vince.

"So he did it." She thought and then chuckled. "It won't matter. Once everyone asks questions, I will answer and tell the whole truth."

Halo left for class, not letting anyone see her. She sat in her chemistry class, listening to her teacher speak on and she took her notes. Raf was her partner, and she was happy for that. At least Vince wasn't in here to bother her this time.

After 4th period, it was now lunch. Halo sat with her friends, as always. Then,a girl walked up to them. Jack knew who she was.

"Hey Syaira." He smiled.

"Hi Jack." She then looked at Halo. "You're Halo Cross right?"

Halo nodded. "Yeah. Why ask?"

"I saw the bulletin board..." Syaira rubbed her arm, still looking at Halo. "Was it true that... you were a science experiment?"

Halo sighed, her look saddening. "Yes..." Tears filled her eyes.

Jack gave Halo a pat on her shoulder. Syaira sat down, curious to hear more.

"What was it like?" Syaira asked.

"Horrible." Halo closed her eyes, taking a breath, then opened them again. "Imagine this Syaira... you lay there on a stone cold metal table, and your father approaches you with a needle filled with an unknown substance... you beg for him to stop, but he never listens and injects it into you..."

"Oh my..." Syaira said, wide eyed.

"Now imagine the pain you feel from it, the liquid burning you inside and changing you. Altering you inside and out!"

Halo let tears fall, but she was trying not to cry. Syaira saddened and looked at her.

"I'm sorry..." Syaira sighed. "I'm sorry that you had to go through that..."

Halo smiled, the tear stains on her face. "It's ok."

Syaira shook her head. "No. It's not ok. You deserved better than this!"

Halo looked surprised. "Syaira..." She thought quietly.

"Nobody as kind, friendly, trustworthy, and noble as you should have suffered like that! Halo, you were hiding this from everyone for so long... Isn't now the time where everyone can help you recover and cope from this?!"

Halo smiled a little. "Syaira..." Some tears streamed down her face. "Th-Thank you... Thank you so much for understanding..."

Syaira nodded. "It was no problem. I can spread the word if you want."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I think everyone, even the teachers, deserve to understand."

Jack, Miko, and Raf agreed with Syaira. Halo smiled wider, tears of joy streaming down her face.

After lunch, for the rest of the school day, Halo was getting the sympathy she needed from all students and teachers alike. Halo was now becoming friends with almost everyone in the school. Vince still became a pain in the neck, but she didn't see him around much.

Halo finally had more friends than she could have imagined...