I'm Here

As I lay on the couch, throwing myself a pity party in my own head, I could hear the fridge opening and then close a few minutes later, indicating that someone probably grabbed something to eat or drink. Or both.

My stomach growled loudly at the mention of food and I placed my hand over it. I didn't have breakfast nor did I have lunch.

A sudden chill came over me and I looked toward the window, only to find it open and the curtains swaying as the wind blew in. I try to get up but fail as I fall backwards with a painful moan. I want to go up to my room where it's warm and cozy and get into bed, pretending that no worries of mine exist and that everything is just right in the world. But of course, I can't because my rib is broken.

I manage to roll over and press my face against the back of the couch, curling into a ball -the best I can with my injury- to try keep myself warm. I close my eyes and am about to doze off when I feel footsteps walking and stop right next to me.

I hear a sigh and feel someone gently grab my shoulder and my leg to make me roll over on my back. I'm so tired at this point, that I can barely lift an eyelid open. So I don't.

I feel fingertips gently skim against my cheeks and a thumb rub over my chin. A few moments later, warm arms wrap themselves around my body and lift me off of the couch. Without pondering too much over what I'm about to do, I curl against the chest of the person holding me and snuggle my face in the crook of the neck. The person halts immediately and I feel their heartbeat increase from where my ear is pressed against it. The heartbeat slows after some time and the walking continues again.

I hear a door open and then close and a few seconds later, I feel myself being lowered onto a familiar and soft surface. My bed. Hands reach out for my ankles and untie my shoe laces, dropping the shoes onto the floor and then grabbing my legs, tucking them under the duvet as well as pulling the duvet up to my chin. Though my body is starting to get warm, my ribs still throb with irritation of not being properly tended to. I drowsily let out a groan and the person immediately stops tucking me in and I hear a quiet whisper,

"What is it, darling?"

I have no control any of my actions and I mumble, "my ribs."

I hear footsteps quickly run off somewhere out of the room and a few short moments later, they return; faster than ever. My duvet is removed from my body which irritates me as I was tucked to perfection but the discomfort vanishes and its' place is taken by embarrassment as my shirt is lifted until my ribs are visible. My shirt doesn't go up higher than where my ribs start, which I'm thankful for. An ice pack is gently placed on my ribs and I release a short sigh of relief. I want to open my eyes and thank the person who's been nothing but an angel but sleep has taken over me, heavy like a blanket of rocks.

The person keeps their hand on the ice pack and the other hand on my forehead, thumb gently stroking along the skin.

A few minutes later, right before I completely doze off; I feel a pair of lips press against my forehead and a voice whisper, "you're okay, now. I'm here."

•••

My eyes snap open and I look around in the darkness of my room, confused for a second. And then it hits me. Theodore tucked me in. My ribs.
I lift the duvet and find that the ice pack is still there. And it's frozen. Which of course, means he changed it because it would have been melted by now, if he hadn't.

I get up from the bed and walk -more like limp- toward the bathroom whilst also grabbing a fresh pair of clothes on the way. I decide on a baggy hoodie and sweats as it is almost night time.
Showering turns out to be harder than I had anticipated but the cold water soothed the ache, although I had to be extra careful with applying soap.

After I'm finished showering and detangling my hair after applying a leave in conditioner, I slip on my Ugg's and make my way downstairs.

As I'm on the last step, the voice of a throat being cleared is heard. I instantly look up and come face to face with none other than Theodore, who is now staring intently at me.
I look down on the floor and then back up again, "thanks for, um. Helping me."

His intent state continues and he replies, "you're welcome."

I nod my head awkwardly and go to walk past him, into the kitchen to get myself a glass of cold water when his arm grabs mine and he brings me to stand right in front of himself again, only this time; it's much closer.

He leans in slightly and whispers, "this is not over. I will find out who did this to you. Either you can tell me or I'll have to snoop around myself and trust me," he pulls my face closer to his so that his breath fans my face, "it won't be pretty when I do."

I swallow thickly as I feel his breath fan across my face. I try not to let my nervousness show and shrug my shoulders and walk away.

As I open the fridge, I feel footsteps follow behind me.

Deja vu, anyone?

I grab bread, lettuce and tomato and the other ingredients needed to fix myself a quick sandwich.
As I'm slicing the tomato, a hand gently pries the knife from my hand and I'm moved to the side. Next thing I know, Theodore is slicing the tomatoes while I stare at him, gobsmacked.

What the hell?

"What're you doing?" I ask him as I try to take the knife from his hand which makes him pull back and me to pull harder. Somehow we end up in a position in which he continues slicing and now it looks like he's holding me in an intimate embrace while he cuts tomatoes.

I blush and go to move away but his arms tighten around me and he rests his chin on my shoulder. Not saying a word, but somehow the message was clear.

I'll keep you safe.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
I just ordered pizza. And now we wait....
I decided to be spontaneous and ordered Hawaiian and Seafood.
I've never tried either one of them.
Om nom nom.
Thanks for reading
Teddy🐾