{0.4}

The school day goes by as normal. By lunch though everyone is talking about some article jughead wrote in the school newspaper.

My curiosity gets the best of me and I grab a copy for myself before curling up in my corner of the student lounge on a chair.

I read over the article. No this can't be true! I know my family legacy is messed up but this is just horrendous.

*:・゚✧*:・゚

Once school is over and I meet Cheryl at her car I ask her about the article, "Cheryl do think what Jughead wrote is true, about our family and the uktena?"

"I don't know little sister but I'm going to find out. Come with?" Cheryl says opening the car door for herself. I nod back and follow her previous actions.

*:・゚✧*:・゚

We arrive at the park, where the general Pickens statue is,  to see our mother bent down placing bright red flowers down. Me and Cheryl walk over and stand either side of the crouched figure. I stuff my hands in the pockets of my red leather jacket.

"The cameras aren't here, Jacki O." Cheryl says rolling her eyes ever so slightly. " and what about Jughead's article."

"What about it Cheryl."  My mother replies.

"It says that great-great-great grandpappy blossom hired general Pickens to steal the land from the Uktena." Cheryl says.

"Well how do you think we got started in the maple syrup business?" Mother turns to look at me, "help me up."

I take a hand out of my pocket and hold  it out for her and help her up into a standing position.

"But that means our family is partly responsible..." Cheryl doesn't finish her sentence.

"For killing literally hundreds of people." I finish off for her, putting my cold hand back into the pocket of my jacket. "For what a bunch of maple trees?"

"It wasn't just trees. Dark fertile earth. A mighty river. Back in those days we had a hand in everything.  Building the rail roads, operating the salons. And yes, even a brothel." Mother turns to Cheryl. "The old ways die hard it seems." My Mum walks off the leaving me alone with my sister.  I turn to look at her, my hands still buried deep in the pockets of my red jacket.

"What does she mean?" I question raising an eyebrow at my older sister.

"Nothing you need to worry about dear sister." Cheryl replies. She is about to turn and leave but I grab her arm and stop her.

"Tell me!"

"Mother is... she is a women of the night, gentleman callers which she satisfies the needs off."

I let out a gasp and clamp my hand over my mouth letting go of Cheryl.
"I thought that but,  she wouldn't... would she?"

"Well it's true Amelia. You need to grow up one day and realise our mother isn't as high-class as she seems."

My older sister turns and leaves I stand there looking off into the trees, mouth still agape. I don't leave my position when I hear Cheryl's car start. I only start walking once I hear it drive off.  I don't really know where I'm walking, just that I'm not ready to go home yet.