Chapter 27 - Happy Birthday, Lyv

Sunday, 3rd August, 1986

Madrid, Spain

Madrid. One of the most memorable gigs and not the usual way. What am I talking about? Well, you'll understand if I tell you what happened in Madrid.

The afternoon started as it always used to, arriving to the venue, checking everything, soundcheck, then the boys returning into the dressing room to prepare and get ready. I left the boys in the dressing room, checking something with Stage Manager Mike and I won't lie when I'm saying that I wasn't away for long, 15 or 20 minutes maybe. On my way back to the dressing room I heard...yelling. Getting closer I recognised Roger's voice, then John's, then Freddie's yelling. But what shocked me the most was what I have seen when I opened the door of the dressing room and stepped in silently: the whole room was damaged. Buffet-table tumbled down, all that food on the floor. Plates, glasses broken, everywhere around, just like all the bottles of waters, juices and alcohol. A full bottle of vodka spread on the floor in one corner, whiskey in the other, champagne in the third. Chairs, towels, clothes spread around and there, in the middle, Freddie, John and Roger standing and staring against each other, while Brian, Crystal and Jim Beach tried to calm them a little.

-You must be fuckin' kidding to me! - Roger shouted, pointing to John, with his drumsticks in his other hand.

-Who said I wouldn't? If Freddie quits, I'll quit too, because I have fuckin' enough of all! - John yelled back.

-Boys! Boys please calm down! - Jim tried to hold back John, while Crystal did the same with Roger. The two looked like they could kill each other in that very moment.

-What the hell is going on here? - I asked, trying to settle the table back and save what can be saved from the drinks, so the boys can actually drink something during the night. Brian looked at me and just rolled his eyes.

-I'm not saying I'll quit John, I never said it! - Freddie spoke up - I said I can't do this anymore and that's the truth.

-Yes, you already let us know, a lot of times before, Fred. When do you stop your childish whining and act like a professional? - John asked.

-I AM professional John! Without me this whole shit wouldn't even exist! But I declare here and now that I will never ever do a tour again!

-Stop it Freddie, for fuck's sake, John's right! You always do this by the end of the tour, this fucking whining "I can't do this, I'm fucked, poor me, blah blah blah." - Roger imitated him, yelling - I'm so fuckin' sick and tired of it!

-If you're so sick and tired of it Roger, then go to hell and let's end Queen here and now, I don't care anymore! - Freddie yelled - But I won't pretend being 20 years old, running around the stage and looking fuckin' ridiculous! Because let me tell you boys, this is how I look like!

-No, THIS is ridiculous! - Roger yelled back.

-What the fuck do you think we'll look like in a couple of years? You want us to be put on stage in a fuckin' wheelchair? - Freddie said.

-Shut up Freddie, I told you, THIS is ridiculous! - Roger waved, then threw his drumsticks into the corner, taking a bottle of water I just settled on the table, throwing away it too.

-You want all of us to be fuckin' perfect Roger! - Freddie yelled.

-No, I want you to act like a professional and to stop whining! I can understand if you're exhausted, because we all are, but it doesn't mean I'll start this ridiculous whining about it. This is our life Freddie, it always has been and it'll always be, we don't know anything else to do! - Roger said looking like he would explode in the next moment.