eleven

-

-

anya wakes up with a jolt of pain tearing through her lower half. she lets out an immediate screech, bringing her hand to her small bump, anxiety crossing over her composure. she looks around the dark room illuminated by the television, seeing shawn asleep next to her, the box of pizza still in between them.

"shawn," she whispers, reaching over and shaking him to wake up. "s-shawn, wake up," shawn rolls around to his side, opening his eyes.

"where am i?" he asks, his voice raspy.

"m-my room," she answers, looking down underneath her, seeing a blood stain. her heart falls, and she feels the tears line her eyes. "i-i'm bleeding."

shawn gets up from the bed straight away, moving the pizza away, and helping anya up, easing her and calming her down slightly.

they both knew what was happening, but neither one of them wanted to say it. shawn helps anya quickly change into something clean, stripping her bed of her sheets and putting them on the floor to sort out after.

"come on, we have to go to the hospital," shawn tells her, lifting her up in his arms.

"s-shawn," she weeps, sniffling gently. "i'm scared."

"everything's gonna be okay, just stay calm," he says gently, leaving her apartment, quickly going into his to pick up his keys, before heading down to the carpark, and quickly getting into the jeep.

they both drive in silence, shawn completely worried, and anya feeling completely broken. she sniffled quietly, pulling her knees up to her chest, and resting her head against the window, the quiet music echoing through the car. shawn pulls up to the hospital, parking the car, and easing anya out, helping her walk straight into the emergency department.

"um, hi," shawn says anxiously to the receptionist. "my uh, friend thinks she's  having a miscarriage."

"oh my," the receptionist says quickly, as anya clutches her hand over her bump, tears pooling in her eyes. "come here honey, let's get you into a room, okay?" the receptionist gets out of the desk, grabbing a wheelchair, and letting anya sit down.

"can i get this woman some emergency attention? take her to the ob/gyn!" she tells a man dressed in scrubs. he nods, taking the wheelchair, and pushing anya away, shawn following them close by. anya gets pushed into a room, the door closing in shawns face, as doctors crowd around, pushing shawn completely out of the way.

"hey!" shawn yells, looking over their heads and trying to get into the room.

"where's shawn?" anya says anxiously, panic filling her composure, as she's quickly put into a gown. "shawn!" she yells, letting the tears roll down her cheeks. "shawn!"

"anya!" he yells back, moving past the doctors, pushing them away, and getting into the room, seeing her panicking on the bed, the tears not stopping from rolling down her cheeks. "hey, shh," shawn says softly, walking over to the side of the bed. "everything's gonna be okay, calm down."

"s-shawn," she whispers, her voice shaking.

"alright, we're gonna have to get you an ultrasound, miss..?"

"steinburg," anya answers, sniffling gently. "w-will my baby be okay?"

"we will do everything we can, miss steinburg," the doctor reassures her, sending the rest of the doctors out. "are you her husband?"

"boyfriend," shawn quickly lies, so he can stay in the room. "i'm the baby's father," he tells the doctor, as anya grasps onto shawns hand, holding it close to her.

"miss steinburg, i assure you, i'm going to do everything i can to make sure your baby is okay," the doctor reassures her, and the couple. another doctor comes into the room, rolling an ultrasound machine in.

"t-thank you," anya says softly to the doctor, squeezing shawns hand. shawn sighs, sitting down in the chair next to anya's bed, feeling his world crumble around him.

it was just a matter of hope.
-
the faint beep echoes through the hospital room as anya and shawn wait for a doctor to tell them the inevitable. anya stopped crying and became numb to the main a few moments after the doctor left from taking the sonogram. shawn didn't know what to think, all he knew was that he had to be there for anya. no matter what, he had to make sure she didn't feel alone in things.

"i'm sorry," anya mumbles to shawn gently. "it was my duty to care for the baby, and i-"

"don't apologise," shawn tells her, looking down at her. "you couldn't stop it, or prevent it. don't blame yourself."

anya stays silent, waiting for the doctor to come back. shawn sighs, squeezing her hand, and bringing it up to his lips, giving her hand a small kiss.

"shawn i-"

"hello again," the doctor says, walking into the room, a clipboard in his hands, and shutting the door softly. "so, it seems like there is good news, and bad news."

"what?" anya asks confused, looking up from shawn. "what do you mean?"

"it appears you were pregnant with twins," the doctor tells the couple, who listen with open ears, completely shocked at the information they were receiving. "i know, it might be crazy to you, since you found out you were only pregnant with one," the doctor says, sighing and looking up from the clipboard. "this is where the bad news comes in. one baby did not survive, but one did. so, you're still pregnant, just with one baby."

"oh," anya says, completely shocked and not knowing how to react.

"i guess that's better," shawn says quietly, looking down at anya who's trying to fit the pieces together. "thanks doc."

"no problem. you guys are free to go whenever," he smiles.

"thank you," anya tells him softly, before he lets the parents sit together, alone. anya sits up in the bed, looking down at her bump. "shawn?"

"yeah?"

"what just happened?" she asks, completely confused. "how comes we didn't know?"

"i guess it was hard for them to see?" shawn shrugs, slightly confused himself. "it's bittersweet, i guess."

"yeah," she sniffles, the tears building up in her eyes again. "bittersweet."