| 19 |

2nd POV

Shortly after the mortifying scenario with you and Tamaki, the both of you had weaved your way past sandwiched bodies through the bustle and hustle in the cafeteria, spotting Mirio and Nejire at a bench close to a vending machine, talking animatedly. Mirio had greeted with his brilliant smile while Nejire did not hesitate one bit at flinging a torrent of questions, spurring a series of involuntary blushes after learning that you two were now on first-name basis.

She was cracking with mischief throughout the break, smirking at you and Tamaki while the two of you ate in silence.

Needless to say, lunch did not pass like a breeze.

"Are you ready?!" Midnight boomed, gesturing towards the hovering screen. "With the recreational games over, we shall now move on to the tournament round: one-on-one matches! The sixteen finalists have the right to stay for this round." A 3-D projection of a deck of cards shuffled thrice before randomly shooting them across the screen, hastily flipping over to formulate the bracket. "This is now the bracket!"

Sixteen finalists; eight matches to be played out in the first round—your [e/c] eyes scrutinised the giant screen, searching for the card that had your image. Albeit the anxiousness swirling in the pit of your belly, you were looking forward to the matches, fully prepared to show the pros what you were really made; to show your parents, if they were even watching, that you were a strong hurdle without their help.

... That is, until a bolt of trepidation electrified your nerves and sent them spiking in anxiety, your orbs shrinking in their sockets.

"Y-You've got to be kidding me..." you meekly uttered, your solemn expression darkening. 'I have to fight that guy first?'

"[Name]-chan? What's wrong? You look like you wanna throw up," asked Nejire.

You swallowed thickly, trying to calm your antsy nerves. "L-Look at the screen..."

"Hm?" Lifting her head a little higher, Nejire gave the blaring screen an intense gawk before feeling her eyes broaden. "Wow! You've got bad luck!"

"Don't remind me," you murmured. "Of all people to fight... it just had to be Inoue-kun."

"And if you win, Kurosaki-kun's your next opponent, if he wins against Togata-kun though," she pointed out, catching the bulky blonde's attention. "Speak of the devil! There you guys are, I thought we lost you after lunch."

"'Maki needed some takoyaki so we visited one of the food stalls," Mirio explained, arm draping over Tamaki's slumped shoulders. "What were you two talkin' about?"

"The bracket," Nejire answered.

Tamaki shuddered, an icy chill running down his spine when he imagined a swarm of million of eyes gawking down at him, instantly frowning. "R-Relax," he told himself. "Imagine them as potatoes... potatoes are good... potatoes are friendly..."

"What's with you?" Nejire complained. "You've got to step up your game, Amajiki-kun!"

"A-Ah—yeah..."

"Oh yeah! I'm fighting Kurosaki," Mirio bellowed loudly, radiating rays of hyperactive energy as he looked at the screen. "I can't wait!"

"At least you're positive! [Name]-chan can't help but be like this." She beckoned the two teens' gazes to your shaking form, distraught etched all over your face. "With his Heat Quirk, Inoue-kun can roast her alive, literally."

"Now don't say that, Hadou!"

"Just kidding! You can definitely take him down, [Name]-chan, don't overthink things," Nejire chirped, lighting up the mood by a fraction. "You've worked your way up till now, there's no way you can back down after all the effort you've put. Just 'cause he's got an advantage doesn't mean you can't gain the upper-hand. You gotta believe in yourself more!"