Ocean

Ocean;
a very large expanse of sea, in particular each of the main areas into which the sea is divided geographically.

Tom is a human, Harry's a merman. They meet one fateful day.

Merman!Harry, Modern!AU, Adopted!Tom, Mafia!Tom. Also, this is technically a Non Magic!AU since they're not wizards but Harry's a merman so that's not really true

The regular merman x human can be really cliche so I added in the mafia because I add death and crime whenever I'm bored so :)

Switches through POV's but it's obviously which POV it is I promise

These boys are SOFT for each other

The mafia isn't really important to the story, I just wanted to add it

On a beautiful summers day, Tom was on a fishing vessel.

Secretly, he had enjoyed it when he was a kid. He had loved the gentle rocking of the ocean, how the air smelled like the sea and he especially loved how quiet it was. The only reason he had only been out once was because his grandfather had had a heart attack on the boat while they were out at sea, and it had traumatized Tom for a while.

He was twenty five now, opposed to his old ten year old self. He could deal with the stresses and, very unlike his ten year old self, Tom now knew what to do with a dead body.

Of course, the impromptu fishing trip hadn't been entirely his idea. His mother had noticed how stressed he was with his upcoming responsibilities and had told him to, before he couldn't, do the things he has always wanted to do. It's like she was encouraging Tom's quarter life crisis.

So for the first time in fifteen years, Tom decided to rent a fishing vessel all for himself in Australia (since it was January and there was no way in hell Tom was getting on a boat in England during their winter) and fish for a day or two.

As expected for the season, it was warm, dry, and the seas were calm. Tom had spent most of the afternoon sun tanning and reading a book, yet when it came time for dinner, he casted a relatively large net and made a tuna sandwich. When finished eating, he reeled the net back up.

As expected, there were quite a few fish in there, but something was wrong.

There was a large maroon tail in the net, sticking out above the water.

As Tom continued to reel the net up, he noticed that the tail seemed to vanish in the fish caught in the trip.

Curiosity snuck up to him. What was it? He had never heard of a fish with that big of a tail, let alone colour. Even the design seemed strange— beautiful long fins and scales that shone enough to slightly blind Tom.

He continued to lift the net until it reached the deck, and he carefully set the net down on the floor, cringing at the noise of the fish flopping on the steel. Watching his step, Tom reached over and undid the top of the net, releasing the binds and letting the fish sprawl across the entire deck.

Tom's gaze was immediately drawn to the red tail. From the view Tom had, he could only see the fins, the dark maroon that they were, shining in the sunlight. Before he could reach over to see what type of fish it was, the tail started shaking violently.

Out of sheer shock, Tom stepped back and tripped on a fish, falling on his ass.

"Ow, fuck!" Tom screamed, wincing at the pain that shot up from his lower back. He laid there for a moment, eyes closed, planning the murder of a bloody fish, when the sun was suddenly blocked off.