arriving.

max and el showed up to dustin's house, and could hear faint dance music from across the street. lights were flashing everywhere, and it just seemed to burst with activity. there were some kids outside, in the doorway, and you could tell that there was many inside. 

max was a bit anxious. she hadn't worn a dress in forever, and she just felt out of place. el could tell, so she reached over and squeezed her hand. 

"it'll be fine, okay? i'm sure you'll get a man." she said. max laughed. 

"thanks," she said. "just nervous."

"you'll be great." el replied, and they walked up to the house.

---

"you looking for anyone special?" dustin asked mike.

"if by that you mean the snack bowl, sure." mike said sarcastically. dustin snickered.

"you know what, we need to get you a girl." dustin encouraged.

"have fun with that," mike snorted.

"c'mon, you're the most popular kid in school."

"bullshit."

"there are girls dying to be in the same room as you."

mike rolled his eyes. "if you find the most ridiculous way, and i know you will, to set me up, i'll let you."

"really?" dustin squealed.

"yep."

at that moment, el and max walked through the door. max headed straight back to get something to drink, and el started talking to will. 

"can i get you back with your ex?" dustin muttered.

"are you kidding? f-r-i-e-n-d-s."

"fine. what about max?"

"seriously? i hate her." 

"but you have to admit, she looks pretty good."

"yeah. wait, what? no!" mike said quickly.

"sure." dustin said sarcastically. 

"i'm going to get a drink," mike said, and stormed off.

---

in the kitchen, mike took a beer from the fridge and opened it. he heard a voice from behind him.

"didn't know you were one for alcohol, wheeler." he spun around.

"didn't know you were one for parties, mayfield."

"are you kidding? i have more of a social life than you do, frogface." she said.

mike snorted. "sure."

"oh, you think you're all that?" she asked.

mike rolled his eyes. he looked at her. he didn't want to admit how good she looked. 

"and you think you're anything more than annoying?" he retorted.

max looked taken aback for a second. mike smirked. as she walked away, mike's eyes lingered for longer than he would like to admit. 

she went to el with a drink in her hand. "i. hate. michael. wheeler."

el scoffed. "he gave me the 'you look beautiful' bullshit in the eighth grade, and that's about it. he's so clingy."

max rolled her eyes. "we came here to have fun, right? well, let's do something fun." the two went out to the middle of the dance floor and after the first few awkward minutes, danced, laughed, and actually were having a good time. until dustin's voice rose above the crowd.

"we're gonna play seven minutes in heaven!"