Chapter 4 - The Encounter

As I closed the door behind me, I let out a long sigh of exhaustion and frustration. This was a mess, and I knew it was going to be even messier. As I didn't have anything else to do, I decided to just go back to my flat and sort out what to do on my way. So, I walked towards the chimneys and said 'Exit!'

I Apparated out of a building's lavatory and walked my way to an empty street. Yet, suddenly, at a street turn, I bumped into someone and we both fell backwards.

'Ouch... Oh God, I'm very sorry! Are you alright?' said the man as he stood up. I looked from his large body to his face, just to make sure he was a decent person, and I froze. The eyes that were looking at me were those of Jacob Kowalski's. He was wearing a brown coat over his clothes and he had sort of a basket in his hands.

'Sir?' he asked again, his brows now knitted together.

'Oh,' I said, surprised, 'oh yes, I'm sorry.'

'Oh no,' he said, an embarrassed smile breaking through his face as I stood up, 'it's my fault. I was thinking about whether to add glazing to my pound cake or to my American croissants. I'm a baker you see. I'm opening a second shop here – I'm from New York. It's close by.'

As he talked, all I kept thinking was "remember"; yet, I knew deep down that it was never going to happen. Never... unless... no! Tina would kill me if she finds out. Wait...Tina?

'... yeah, you'll be amazed how lucky one can get. You should come to check it out – here's the address, I always carry those around – and I'll treat you with one. As an apology for bumping onto you, and as a thank you for being such a devoted listener, wow. Hey pal, you alright?'

I looked around and made sure every Muggle were not looking our way and put my hand on my pocket. Yet, I felt a hard hand enclose on my shoulder. Taken back, I realized it was Yusuf, an old classmate of mine.

'Hey Newton, what do you think you're doing?' he asked, his brows furrowed and sending me a hard look. It was rather shocking, considering that he was like... well, a bit like me at Hogwarts.

'Um...' I heard Jacob say, sounding confused. I shot a glance at him and my eyes went wide as I saw him break into a sweat and touch the side of his neck, a pained expression come across his face.

'Newton,' said Yusuf, more firmly now.

'Yusuf,' I said, thinking fast, 'I know you'll forgive me one day.'

'Wha –'

'Petrificus Totalus!' I whispered, yet loud enough for only Jacob to hear. 

Yusuf's face stiffened, and his body fell to the ground backwards. Good thing he had a hat on; it would cushion the fall a bit, wouldn't it? 

The Muggles around began to gather, so I grabbed Jacob by his arm and walked away from there as quick as possible. As I heard people shout behind us, I entered a dark alley and I Disapparated along with Jacob to the inside of my flat.

'Wh- wait, no, um... the-the mister there just fell... he-he froze, literally... what...what just happened?'

Jacob kept whispering those words, and more, to himself as I put my wand away. I looked around to check everything was in its place. It was rather small but convenient if one doesn't use up a lot of room; at least from the Muggle perspective. 

I grabbed my case that sat on the bed and returned to the entrance. Jacob was still standing by it and looking as if his head was about to explode.

'Follow me, Mr Kowalski, I have lots to show you,' I said as I opened my front door and descended the steps.

'Wait,' Jacob said, his footsteps following me, 'how do you know my name? Do I know you?'

'You used to,' I simply said.

'What do you mea – OUCH!'

I turned towards him and was rather surprised to see the Murtlap bite he had before came back to his neck. I went in front of him and checked it. I let out a sigh of relief as I saw that the bite alone was back, and no infectious symptoms were visual. Yet, it seemed to cause Jacob a fever.

'Wha – Why am I sweating?!' he said fearfully, but mostly confused.

'Calm down, it's just a Murtlap's bite you had once. If you come with me, I'll give you something to stop the sweating and twitching,' I said, descending again and not waiting for his reply. I heard him stutter some words, yet he followed suit. 

We arrived at the first floor and faced the wall under the staircase. I glanced around and, satisfied, I got my wand out and touch the wall with it three times. After the last tap, the wall disappeared, and an old door appeared. I heard Jacob whistle next to me, making me smile. I opened it and revealed a dark staircase, leading to my basement.