Chapter 5 - The Pieces

'I've got to say, Mr Kowalski, you have a knack on getting mixed up in very peculiar business. Lumos,' I said, my voice and our footsteps echoing against the rock walls. I guided us down some steps and turns, stepping over some water conducts here and there, till we got to a wooden door. Jacob was looking around all the time, and I saw his hand go up to his neck and left cheek. He was remembering, and that was good enough for me. I put down my case and started lifting the protective spells from the door.

'Wha- How? Wait,' Jacob said more firmly. I turned around, and I was glad to see that he didn't look angry.

He sighed. 'Who are you, and what did you mean when you said I used to know you?'

'You will know, if you follow me,' I said. I heard him breath out and mumble something, but he followed. I knew what to do to for him to recover his memories, but I needed him to choose as well. The door clicked, I turned the doorknob, and opened a dark room. I put my hand on Jacob's shoulder to make him go inside, and to stabilize him a bit as well. I said Nox, everything now pitch black, and waved my wand around it. Little by little, the place lighted up and revealed a small, cupboard room.

'Cozy,' said Jacob sarcastically.

I pushed him into it and I followed. As I did, the room grew large and its ceiling was set higher than before. At the beginning, there was my work desk, lamps, some tables full of notes and books, and some filing cabinets around. Further down, there is a long pathway with arcs on the walls – arcs that lead elsewhere sideways. Jacob was looking around – and I was pleased to see admiration than nervousness in his face – and pointed towards that long pathway.

'What're those?' he asked. I grabbed my case and put it on top of my desk, flitching the catches. I opened it and beckoned him over.

'First things first, Mr Kowalski,' I said.

'Jacob,' he said. I was surprised but just nodded. I gestured the inside of my case and, when he was next to me and looked back at me confused, I said. 'Bend over and you'll see. Not too close, or you might fall.'

I was expecting a reply, but he just took a deep breath and did as I told him. I chuckled as I heard his muffled voice of excitement, 'WOW! THIS... THIS IS.... WOAH, WHAT WAS THAT? IT'S ... THIS IS...this is something... I know what this is, but... where did I...'

He leaned back out of the case and looked at me in the eyes. I was about to look away, but I stayed put, given that this was more important to him than to me. He then looked around, mumbling to himself. He then gripped his head and closed his eyes, still moving around. After ones of the three longest minutes of my life, he stopped his pacing, ungripped his head and opened his eyes.

I would never forget that look his eyes had when he did. Those were the eyes of someone who had been asleep for so long, and who could finally tell he was done dreaming. As he walked backwards to sit on a pile of books, he let out a deep breath.

'Jacob?' I said tentatively.

He didn't answer right away, yet he looked up to me and scanned my face. And when I saw recognition on his face, I couldn't help but to smile.

'Hey,' he said, smiling brightly at me, 'how you doing, Newt?'

Yes, my friend was back. 'Good. How are you feeling?'

'Weird. I have a weird taste in my mouth, and I feel like I woke up from a nap.'

'It's normal, I supposed. You just happened to recover your memories on your own, despite on being Obliviated before. For the mouth taste, here – your Murtlap bite seemed to act up before and it could be because of that,' I said, handing him a cup of water and a ball of mixed herbs... and other things he doesn't need to know.