Chapter 6 - The Professor

I Apparated in a corner of the Leaky Cauldron inn, greeted the barman and went out the streets of London. Mindful to stand clear of the crowd, i walked with my head down and fast pace; unless I needed to check the street signs to locate myself. As I got to my destination, I pulled out the parchment paper and re-read the words marked on them.

Meet in London, in front of the Merion Street, near the St Paul's cathedral. Be alone.
– A. D

Professor Dumbledore, of course, had to make a meeting sound dramatic. That's what I would think if these were normal times; however, after my meeting with the Minister, I wasn't sure if they were anymore. I located the sign with the street's name and stood in front. As I did, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and was taken back to see a black glove levitating the air. No body, no arm; just a glove. I was still dumbstruck as the glove gave me its hand to shake. When I didn't respond, it turned around and pointed with its finger to my left. I followed its finger and was, once more, flabbergasted to what I saw. Far afar from where I stood, a silhouette was standing on the ceiling of the St Paul's Cathedral, waving at me with a hat.

I let out a chuckle and sigh simultaneously and looked back at that happy silhouette. Merlin's beard, Dumbledore..., I thought. As it stopped waving, I looked back at the black glove – I wondered how Muggles seemed indifferent to it – and it gave its hand to shake again. This time, all humour aside, I extended my hand and shook it. When I did, I was transported where Dumbledore. Even though his back was turned towards me, I could sense him laughing.

He finally turned to me, smiling widely. 'Hello, Newt, how are you?'

'Hello, Professor. I'm alright, thank you,' I answered as if we were having a conversation in a coffee shop more than on top of a Muggle building.

'Congratulations on your book Newt. I've overheard the Headmaster saying that, because of the potential in it, your book would be in the list for first years this upcoming year.'

I blushed at the honour and allowed myself to be happy and smile. 'Thank you, Professor, I'm sure Headmaster Dippet and the students would find it of use sometimes when in need.'

Dumbledore nodded in agreement, 'Indeed. How are your creatures? Don't look surprised Newt, we all read the newspapers and I know some stories are facts,' he said, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

I shifted from one foot to the other. 'Well, accidents happen. And I enjoyed New York. It is interesting, to some extent,' I said honestly.

'I bet. Fate works in mysterious ways, doesn't it?' his smile got wider, 'you never what or who you're going to meet...'

I gulped and he chuckled, though I could tell he was not mocking me; I know the difference, 'I've got to say Newt, you're ones of the few students of whom I'm least bored to hear about. Friendships makes you bloom, but love – oh, love makes you soar.'

'Professor Dumbledore, this isn't the time!' I yelled out of either embarrassment or annoyance. Maybe both.

His smile went down till he had his signature kind look. 'True, I apologize. It's been so long, I'm just glad everything went great for you after Hogwarts. Now,' looking at me with a much more serious gaze than before, his blue irises piercing on mine; I looked down a bit, yet still making subtle eye contact, 'let's go somewhere else to talk.'

'What?'

'Let's take a walk.'

And he vanished, appeared next to me, and we both Disapparated together to some men's lavatory. Without bothering to explain, he went out the door and I followed. As we were out in the streets, I noticed we were near The Parliament.