Chapter 7 - The Idea

'Newt, this is not a good idea.'

'I know Jacob. I don't like it either.'

'Then why are we doing it?'

'Because we have no choice. Come on, don't worry and you'll be fine.'

'Newt, tell me, have you done this before?'

'....maybe'

'This is nuts!'

'Shh, here they come.'

I was currently inside of my case as Jacob approached the American customs. I could hear the other passengers, the whistles of the conductors, Jacob's muttering words of self-reassurance, etc. I breathed in deep and kept quiet to hear in case Jacob needed some magical assistance.

'Next!'

Jacob's footsteps hit the ground stiffly. 'Morning,' he greeted.

Some papers shuffled in the chocking silence. 'American resident, huh?'

'Y-yes,' Jacob subtly stuttered.

'What was your business in England?'

'I was checking on my business. Um, I'm a baker, you see, and I-I just started a new shop in London.'

Silence; I could only hope the officer nodded. 'Anything edible in there?'

'No,' he chuckled nervously.

'Livestock?' the officer's voice sounded suspicious. What a déjà vu, I thought. However, just as he asked that I saw a dark blue blur flash up to where I was, which was the top of the stairs and get knocked in the head. I caught it mid-air and cursed under my breath: it was the Niffler. Oh-uh, I thought as I held my breath when I heard the familiar "click". A tense silence roamed for a few seconds till I heard Jacob close it.

'Nope,' said Jacob, impressively composed and confident.

Another silence, this time short, and the muffled sounds of papers was the signal I needed to breathe again.

'Welcome back to New York,' said the officer.

'Thank you!' said Jacob and walked away, the sounds of the port getting fainter as we advanced into this city for the second time in my life.

I was back to the city of New York, and I felt this rewarded feeling spreading in me; yet, in the back of my mind, I still held on to the one thing I needed to fulfil no matter what. And now that I was back, there was no better chance to do so.

'Hey, Newt?'

I was brought back by the anxious voice of Jacob. I cleared my head and knocked twice on the ceiling above my head. I smiled as I heard his sigh of relief. As we planned, he would have to walk until we'd arrived in his flat and then I'd get out. Luckily, Jacob knew how to move around this city, so they didn't need to stop for any reason.

After twenty minutes of walking and taking some Muggle transport devices, we seemed to have arrived. Even from inside the case I could smell the scent of fresh pastries and bread, and so many baked goods I cursed that I wasn't out there. After minutes, I heard the case's locks being clicked and the lid opened, revealing a proud, smiling Jacob.

'Good job Jacob,' I said as I got out of the case.

'Thanks,' he said after a while, still smiling. I was in his bedroom, the case on top of his bed. His smile widened, and he sat himself down in an armchair near a small desk. His home was a different one from the one I once visited. It was larger and overall nicer in terms of walls and furniture, which brought a livelier and less of a cold air to it.

'So, what's the plan?'

I closed the case and sat down to think. I hesitated for a bit but eventually decided on what to do. 'We should first go see Tina and Queenie. Tell them were here and ask them to help.'

'We better not tell her about smuggling you, and your creatures, in New York. She'd take you in.'

I instantly thought she wouldn't; yet, if she didn't, she wouldn't be Tina. 'We'll see. Let's go then.'