Chapter 16 - The Glimpse

Jacob and Queenie decided to go out to enjoy the fresh air before dinning. I politely denied their invitation, given that I had to make sure my creatures were handling the trip. So, our spirits lifted to above the clouds, we went our separate ways.

I climbed down the steps of my case, then walked out of the shed to go around the different territories.

As soon as everyone was fed and taken care of, I sat down on the steps of what once was Frank's place. I still missed him and hoped he was alright, no longer in chains and imprisoned as when I met him.

Without knowing, I had pulled Tina's necklace out of my pocket. I observed and the silver of the pendant and the chain, smiling at first at the memory of her wearing it but then frowning at the red specks that tainted it. Resolute, I went to the bucket of medicinal water and began to very carefully clean it. I took it out and laid it out on a tissue and using another clean one to gently dabbed it over the silver. Once dry and sparkly smooth, I picked it up and nodded in approval as I noticed there were no more red spots. Just as beautiful as when she wore it, I thought fondly.

Suddenly curious, I took the oval pendant in my hands, stroking it as I took in even the simplest details under others' eyes. I suddenly wondered, nervous yet curious, what was inside of it. It was not the first time I wondered this, but it was the first time I had a chance to really find out.

I dwelled over this question for a good number of minutes, caressing the crease on the sides. Yet, I concluded that I was better not to. It was, after all, not mine and could be something only could be opened after Tina's approval. I smiled, yet still without helping to feel a bit deflated with dissatisfaction. I went to put it back in my pocket when, in a flash, it was gone. Startled, I looked down, guessing that, maybe, I dropped it. When I dismissed that, I cursed under my breath and started to search around for the retreating backside of the Niffler to knock some sense out of him. A loud clink was heard from my left side, a couple of coins falling behind. I ran behind the claw-steps of Niffler, standing in front of its habitat. Sighing, I hopped on it, the three next to me, and bend over the edge till I started into the Niffler's lair, dangling upside down. I cleared my throat and he turned slowly towards me, breathing heavily through its nostrils, as he usually does when he knows he's guilty. One second later, I have his back leg in my grasps as he attempted to escape.

'Alright, you greedy bugger. Give it back,' I said, slowly opening my other hand to him. He looked down at my hand, then at me, then at his leg, and finally down to the ground. He squirmed a bit more, trying to get away. Yet, as he seemed to give up, a loud sound came from my shed; it was as if a big mass had come crashing down.

I hurried towards that, hearing from behind me how the Niffler ran deeper into its den. I pulled out my wand and crept near the door, sharpening my ears against the wood. A familiar groan made me open the door, my eyes meeting Jacob's.

'Newt...' he panted, a naked tone of fear in his voice.

'What is it?' I asked as I looked around. Slightly panicking, I looked back at him. 'Where's Queenie?'

'I need your help... come quickly!' he said as he turned around to climb up the stairs.

Once out, I quickly closed my case and followed Jacob out of our cabin. We ran through lots runs and turns till arriving at the back deck of the ship. It was raining still, the sky grey and the sea troubled with waves. More tamed, but still unmerciful.

Panting, I saw with big mortification the standing figure of Queenie, her head held high and staring into the ocean. She was soaked from hair to toe, her shoulders shaking as the cold winds hit her as whips on a leaf.

'I don't know what's wrong!' said Jacob loudly through chattering teeth, 'but, she suddenly went still! She won't answer me back! What's happening to her, Newt?!'

'I don't know!' I said as I made my way towards her, the wind suddenly stronger as I approached her.

I extended my hand and clamped it on her shoulder, calling her name. I stood next to her, and my guesses were confirmed. She was there with me, but her mind had wandered off – possibly leagues from where we were to the shores of France, or into the streets of Paris. Her eyes had changed colour to pale blue, and her breathing was fast, and her clothes felt warm despite being cold wet.

A hand grabbed Queenie's other shoulder – Jacob's. He called for her name, so loud I checked near us if there was anyone near us. As the echo of her name died down, I heard her gasp and, covering her ears, she fell to the floor on her knees. We kneeled next, and I let out a sigh of relief as I saw her eyes return to normal. But it was for a mere moment because the look in her eyes was of big chagrin and fear.

'Queenie?' whispered Jacob delicately, but she shook her head, her eyes closed and her hands on the sides of her head. I shared a meaningful look with Jacob, and we both helped Queenie on her feet and supported her as we took refuge from the rain.

Once inside, I made sure the coast was cleared before pointing my wand to Jacob and Queenie to dry their clothes. Once both sighed contently, I pointed it at myself, feeling my clothes warm up as if standing in front of a nice fire.

'Thank you,' said Jacob. I nodded at him and turned my attention to Queenie, who had still a look of sorrow on her face.

'I saw her,' she said, weakly but clear. Tina...I felt my chest expand as my heartbeats sent vibrations across my body till the tips of my fingers. She looked up, her eyes shifting to Jacob and me. 'But I also saw him...'

'Grindelwald...' I muttered.

'Not exactly.'

'What?'

'I saw the boy... he lives!' she gasped, a small smile visible on the corners of her mouth.

'The Second Salem boy?' asked Jacob, 'was he not, you know, killed by magic people in New York?'

'He survived...' I whispered, honestly relieved. I crossed my eyes with Queenie's; I immediately looked down, but she had already seen it.

'You knew,' she said.

'I just hoped...' I mumbled. I cleared my throat before continuing. 'I saw something before helping the Magic Council with Obliviating the city: a small piece of shadowy sand in the air, floating away from the ruins of the underground... at the time, I decided it was best to keep it a secret. I never forgot about him, mind you; I simply hoped he would find a place where he wasn't treated differently.'

'But if he was found, with Grindelwald in the loose...' said Jacob.

'He's still safe,' said Queenie, her face suddenly serious. 'But there's a black force next to him – I felt it. Sadly, I would say his life is in peril.'

A tense silence followed those words, the air suddenly too thick to swallow. Suddenly, something occurred that caused us all three to jump. Unknown to us, we had been standing in front of a door that belonged to other passengers of the cruise. The sound of the door opening surprised us as much as would have an explosion.

Without having time to react, I felt my eyes fluttered closed and my consciousness fell into a swirl of darkness.

The last I remembered were the sound of Queenie and Jacob's bodies falling next to mine, and the deep giggle of a woman and the raspy voice of a man.