Chapter 9 - The Answer

'Newt! Come on, Newt... Newt!'

I gasped as I felt Jacob pinch me on my arm. I breathed heavily as I looked around and slowly remember where I was. I was still in the messy and torn apart flat; Jacob was still with me and with my case on his left hand, and I had Tina's necklace and the postcard still in my grasp.

'We have to go to MACUSA – they must know about this,' I said as I put the necklace on my pocket and bent down to pick up my wand that had fallen to the floor. I looked at the postcard of Paris once more, turned it around and saw this little address with a symbol in one of the corners. Feeling my soul drop to my feet, I read its contents and noticed a small mark on the side - a small line of ink. I decided to check it out later, once we were out of there. So, I stuffed it into my pocket, next to the necklace.

'I agree, but should I go or...' Jacob pointed out.

'You should be fine. Just stay close to me and try not to stare too much.'

'Ok,' he looked around the place and whispered, 'I'm worried...where could they have gone, Newt?'

As I was about to respond, I heard a creaking sound come from somewhere in the flat. I raised my hand as a signal to be quiet and raised the other with my wand. Suddenly, a dozen shadowed figures appeared around us and bounded us with spells and disarming me of my wand. Jacob looked at me, and I answered him with a mirrored lost look. As we continued to be pointed at by ten or more wands, two figures Apparated from thin air. One of them was a broad, tall man with dark, short hair and a black and grey suit, and with eyes were as sharp as an eagle's. The other was a woman with a proud authority and composure beaming from her, blonde hair worn and hidden by an ornate headdress and a dark tunic/dress with a brooch of a MACUSA symbol engraved in it. The former looked at us with a bored yet frightening look; however, the latter gave us a tired smile.

'Mr Scamander,' she said, her voice flat yet smooth. She nodded at the Aurors and they let us free. I stood up,  and retrieved my wand.

I nodded as a greeting. 'Madam President.'

She looked at Jacob for a moment before looking back at me, her face changing to a set frown and pressed lips. 'What are you two doing here?'

'Visiting,' I simply said, given it was partially true.

Her expression hardened, yet the man next to her stepped in front of her. 'You better give us more information,' he spat, 'You are stepping on evidence.'

'We just got here,' said Jacob, 'and, for your information, we were going to inform you – or at least Newt was, given that I am... you know.' Madam Picquery listened to him, and surprisingly just nodded. Her partner didn't seem so amused as his face got twisted with a sudden rage and raised his wand menacingly at Jacob. I instantly got in front of my friend, my wand raised in defence.

'Dawson!' roared Madam Picquery, then continued in a dangerous slow voice, 'lower your wand, right now.'

This man, Dawson, casted a nasty look to both of us before lowering his wand and walking the other end of the room. Madam Picquery took a breath and looked at me, her demeanour rather serious, 'I apologize for my colleague's attitude, Mr Scamander, Mr Kowalski, but I'm afraid we'll have to bring you in.'

'Madam President,' I began, but I stopped short when I saw this alarmed, almost pleading look on her face saying to keep quiet. I subtly nodded and looked at Jacob, satisfied as he nodded to me in understanding. I felt the tight grip of the man, or Auror, Dawson on my shoulder and felt my stomach contract a bit as we Disapparated out of there to the Major Investigation Department in MACUSA.

They guided us to a big, round office with files put on the walls and floating around. Madam Picquery went around and sat at this big, wooden desk as we stood in front, still surrounded by Aurors. I looked around, alarmed at first, but then i sighed in relief as one of them handed me my case. I set it down and I saw Dawson on the corner of my eye, suddenly leaving the office. I was wondering where he might've gone when this figure came running into the office and tackling Jacob to the ground, yelling his name at the time of the collision. At first, I was surprised and looked around for an answer (it didn't help because we were all shocked by this person's action), but I could only smile when my eyes gathered the pale pink dress with the golden locks of hair. As this woman giggled, I was certain; it was Queenie.

She stood up, helping an overjoyed Jacob to get on his feet. 'Y-you remember! Oh sweetie, you remember!' she cried, happy tears on her cheeks. Jacob looked at her dearly and nodded, a big grin across his face and tears shining in his eyes. She hugged him again and turned to me. 'Newt!' she cried out and hugged me. I awkwardly half-hugged her, but she didn't seem to mind.

'I'm so happy to see you!' she said, a big smile on her face as she looked at both of us. As her gaze fell on me, I instinctively concealed some recent memories; most specifically, about the postcard and the necklace. Something in me told me that I should keep it to myself; that she didn't need to know about them just yet. Her face turned suddenly confused, yet I was saved from answering her.

'Ms Goldstein...' said the voice of Madam Picquery from behind. Queenie, who seemed to forget about my actions, flushed up a bit and lowered her head. I could've sworn that her sudden happiness has been drained from her in that instant, yet I couldn't have known why.

'I'm sorry Madam President, but...' she said as she gestured to Jacob and I. as she did, I noticed she had some small bruises on her hand and forearm. I looked at her, alarmed, to then be startled at one hidden bruise on the side of her head.

Madam Picquery closed her eyes and sighed. 'I understand your sentiments, Ms Goldstein; however, now it's not the time nor place to spill them. You know that better than anyone, correct?' she said, casting a meaningful look at Queenie.

Confused, I interjected. 'What do you mean?' I then looked around and felt my heart and insides cringe painfully as the realization hit me. I looked at Queenie, who was trying to look away from me.

'Where is Tina?' I asked. Queenie let out something between a sob and a squeak. Madam Picquery took a long look at me, then at Jacob, then at Queenie, and down at her files on her desk. She signalled something to an Auror next to her, and suddenly they all went out of the office, leaving us three alone with the President.

'Gentlemen,' started Madam Picquery as she stood up from her desk and walked to a plan of the city, pinpoints of newspapers covering most of its surface, 'I shall tell you what has occurred and what is currently happening – if, and only if, you tell me on what business have brought you to the Goldstein's residence.'

We all stood silent. Queenie looked at us, and her pale face made it obvious that she knew why we were here. Jacob looked at me, and I shook my head. Noticing our silence, Madam Picquery turned and gazed at us with an intense glare. We all looked down.

'I see you are determined not to tell me,' she said frostily. She then directed her eyes towards Queenie who seemed to shrink at it. 'Maybe one of the Goldstein's sisters can tell me what you are up to. For the sake of the other one, that is.'

That last remark made my breath stop and my heart to pound like a hammer on my ribcage. I shot my eyes towards Queenie who had this tortured expression on her face, tears hugging her eyes. Tina...

'Queenie?' said Jacob gently. She looked at him, and then at Madam Picquery. She closed her eyes and looked down again, refusing to tell us.

'Queenie,' I whispered, suddenly afraid of the answer, 'where is Tina?'

'We are in crisis,' sighed Madam Picquery, standing now in front of her chair and her hands on the table, 'we cannot afford to feel sentimental or lose time, Ms Goldstein. We need all the good help we can find.'

'Where is Tina?' I asked, yet, noticing that I snapped, I swiftly added, 'Madam President?'

'Newt...' whispered Queenie, but my ears were waiting for Madam Picquery's answer.

I asked once again. 'Where's Tina?'

She looked at me and boldly told me what I never thought possible. 'Mr Scamander, we have enough evidence to believe that the former Auror, Porpentina Goldstein, is working under Grindelwald's orders.'