Chapter 12 - The Mission

'WHAT?!'

That was the question Jacob and Queenie shouted at me. I wasn't mad at them for it; I was thinking of something before, but those words were out before I knew it. I looked down, and casted them a subtle look I was glad they understood: I would tell them later.

Thankfully, Madam Picquery, who had stood up and turned around with a pleased smile on her face, didn't see it.

'Good man, Mr Scamander.'

'Thank you,' I half-heartly said.

'Well, I suppose I will need to give you a ship pass to take yourself out of New York and back to London. I shall inform the Ministry about your "capture" and your imminent return to England.'

I re-thanked her, yet took a deep breath before adding, 'Madam President, I must take Queenie and Jacob along with me.'

'Absolutely not.'

I wasn't expecting such sharp, clear order, but I couldn't give in. I had to come up with something. Yet, as I stood there with my mouth agape, nothing came. Thankfully, Queenie had seen my thoughts, possibly the President's as well, and came to the rescue.

'Madam President, I can help, and so could Jacob. We can gather information – I doubt they would expect me or Jacob – a No-Maj – to be undercover.'

Madam Picquery took a long look at her. She looked down for another long time, and back to Queenie. 'I'm afraid I cannot allow it; for the sake of our community, and yours.'

'But – '

'That'll be all, Mr Scamander, Mr Kowalski, Ms Goldstein,' she said, standing up quickly and opening the door with her wand. She then took something from her desk and handed it to me, 'Here is your pass to go on the next ship to London tonight. Just show it to the Auror officer wearing a blue hat.'

She handed me the note, and I noticed she had given me four papers instead of one. I glanced at her, but she glared at me, making me shut my mouth and subtly putting it in my coat.

'Thank you,' I said and exited the office with Queenie and Jacob, and my case.

------------

Jacob walked up next to me and asked, 'What was that about? Do you have a plan?'

I shushed him and grabbed hold of him, Apparating in his flat.

Queenie must've known what I was going to do because she grabbed onto Jacob in the last second.

'You are not leaving me behind, Newt. She handed out three passes,' she said reproachfully.

'Can any of you tell me what went on just now?'

I took out the papers from my pocket, carefully so the postcard and the necklace wouldn't fall out. Indeed, Madam Picquery had handed me three passes for later tonight, along with a parchment note. I opened it and it read:

-I received a letter from a trusty source, saying to trust it and let you go free.
-inform me if you find Auror Goldstein. If she is not a follower, don't mention her in the letter. I'll know that she isn't. If she is, however, you must inform us at once.
-theses passes are an automatic transport to whenever you are planning on going next.
-we are all being watched. Trust carefully.
-just this once, I'll allow this - as a payback for your debt to us. don't make me regret this.

We all read these words and stood silent for a bit, breathing heavily. Jacob was the first one to speak. 'I guess we better get going then.'

'Wait,' I said, facing both. 'You're coming?'

'Of course, we are!' joined Queenie. 'Now, would you tell me what you found when you went to the apartment?'

I hesitated at first, but I slowly took out my pocket Tina's locket and the postcard. Queenie retrieved the necklace as fast as lightning, examining it with a teary smile. That smile morphed into a face of worry as she noticed the red specks on the silver surface. She turned to me, but I shook my head. She let out a sound of disappointment and, giving me back the necklace, she looked down at the postcard.

'What does it say?' she asked, scooting closer with Jacob next to her. It read:

Meet me in 6 days. You know where to go.
– Gellert

And, at the bottom of it, there was a triangular eye sign marked in ink.

'Well, this is a great start,' mumbled Jacob. I think he wanted it to come as a joke, but I didn't see humour; I saw fact. It was nothing to start, even if we knew we had to go to Paris. I turned to Queenie, who also had a lost look on her features.

'Do you remember anything about Tina regarding Paris? If she mentioned a location or thought about it?'

'No,' she said softly, 'all she thought about before she closed her mind to me was work and places in New York to go investigate.'

'Like where?'

'I can't remember... but I remember something.'

'What is it?' Jacob asked anxiously. I could feel my heart pounding in my ears as I listened closely. Queenie, however, looked suddenly uncertain.

'Well, I don't know if it means anything, but Teenie thought about Credence.'

As she said that name, I felt my heart divided into two parts. One part was relieved that it wasn't something else and touched by the thought of Tina not forgetting about him. Yet in the other, I was saddened by the memory of that young, innocent boy who had been so cruelly treated.

I took a deep breath, looking away as Queenie and Jacob continued to talk.

'What exactly was she thinking?' asked Jacob.

'She was wondering about his whereabouts – you know, if he had survived.'

'Do you think he's involved in this?'

'I don't think so. Why would he? Even if he was alive, there is no way he could've gone near the ticket office without being noticed by undercover Aurors. Besides, he's gone. Newt, don't you agree? You were there when... when it happened.'

I just nodded. I then turned my attention to the postcard again. I then noticed that strange ink mark at the bottom of it. I examined closer and took my wand out. I hesitated an instant as I heard the others' voices, but I was only focused on the possibility. It was slim, and if it wasn't what I hoped, it could destroy me. But, regardless of that, I opted to take it. So, I laid the card down onto the bed and pointed my wand at it, and whispered Aparecium.

Slowly, the postcard began to shake. We awaited expectedly and were taken by surprise as the postcard shattered in small little pieces. Still shocked, we gasped as the papers began to fly around the room in a whirling motion. I ignore how long we were engulfed by that storm, but it stopped, all the small pieces falling to the floor. Gasping for air, I looked at the other two, mirroring my aghast expression. The last ray of hope was fading from my sight, yet what happened next brightened it as clear as a new sunrise. Surely, the pieces began to reassemble themselves and restore themselves into the same postcard. I took it in my hands, a smile on my face, and turned it around.

I held it out and, to our shared bewilderment, read the strange message left by a neater writing:

CNteHe ierPeT
raea'h qrDrLe
uNaiLr eomsBe