Chapter 9 : The Reaper

"Why do you call him that?" Lynn asked after a moment of silence.

Syrena turned her head and looked down at her. They've been walking for quite some time now. And Lynn was starting to get sick of walking so much. That, and they haven't said a word to each other since they've started to walk towards the grave yard.

"If I'm right your talking about The Grimm Reaper. You call him Reaper. Why do you call him that?" Lynn said.

"Because it's shorter." Syrena says.

"Oh. Tell me about him."

"He has been in this realm and on this earth for a very, very long time. Longer than me. And longer than..your father. Longer than any creature on this earth. He owns this forest and every soul that lives in it."

She turns her head back and continues to lead the way. Lynn looked at her, the way the blue light from the orb helps see all of her facial features. Not one wrinkle was on her skin. Flawless.

"And..only I call him that." Syrena says after a moment.

"What does he do?" Lynn asked.

"He's death Lynn. He appears to people when they're about to die, or dead already. He appeared to me to collect my soul the day I died. I would be stuck in his realm all the time if it wasn't for my necklace being left in the world of the living."

"How many times have you seen him?"

"Once or twice."

"What's he like? Is he, you know, as scary as he sounds?"

"Not really. Only when he shows his true form which he rarely does now a days. He just makes his eyes change color. From a beautiful golden hazel, to a very dark, soul swallowing red."

Syrena did not miss Lynn gulp, while holding onto her hand tighter.

"But he is nice if you get to know him. Which no one really does." Syrena adds.

"Why not?"

"Because people are afraid of him."

"You're not."

"He doesn't give me a reason to be."

"Other than him being The Grimm Reaper?"

Lynn stared up at her Aunt like she was crazy not to be scared of him. Syrena rolled her eyes at the look her niece was giving her.

"Titles can sometimes just be titles. Just because you hear stories about someone--of them being heartless, cruel and such--doesn't mean there always true." Syrena says.

"So...what is your title Auntie?" Lynn asks.

"Syrena Jurkio, Queen of The Golden Army."

"The Golden Army? Aren't they those things I saw in your visions? Big, gold, mechanical monsters?"

"Yes."

Her Aunt was Queen of a deadly army. Now Lynn understood.

"That's why those bony creatures from before were afraid of you. They know who you are." Lynn says.

Syrena glanced at her before looking straight ahead.

"They were afraid of the light, Lynn." Syrena said.

"Oh really? Then why did Miss Sonya have the littlest twinkle of fear in her eyes when you glared at her? She knows who you are too."

"Every creature--dead or alive--fears me. Not because of who I am. Because they know what I am capable of."