Chapter 11: Of Monsters & Pain

"Wakey wakey, you bloody firestarter."

Air rushed through Liz's lungs once more, causing her take long exhales. Her body was cold, like she'd been put on ice for hours. She took a look at her surroundings. She was laying inside a cage that was old and rusted. Outside tombstones were stretched out far and wide.

A grave yard.

Peering through the metal bars of her cage, leaning against a head stone near by was none other than the Siren that brought her here. Whatever here was.

"Syrena." Liz croaked.

Syrena gave a wicked smile. She was wearing a violet and golden silk laced dress. Long and continued to flow from behind her. Her hair in a fish tale braid. And a flower crown was on top of her head.

"Good evening, Elizabeth. Damn. You look like the living dead. You'll fit right in!" Syrena said, giggles erupting from her afterwards.

Liz just stared at her with brows furrowed. How could she be so cheerful being here in a place so...dead. She must have gone absolutely mental.

"...Well my evening has just been absolutely splendid, and will keep getting better! Thanks for asking, Liz." Says the Siren after not getting a reply from the human. Liz refrains from rolling her eyes.

"Why am I so cold, and feel like my brain is about to explode?" Liz asked.

"Well I guess it's my fault you feel like crap, that was some nasty stuff what I did to you. Not that you didn't deserve it."

As she sat up into a sitting position her daughters face flashed quickly before her vision. Worry filled Liz's eyes before setting into a hard glare at Syrena.

"Where's Lynn?" Liz asked.

"How many times do I have to tell you? She's fine, in good hands." Syrena says with a wave of her hand.

Liz scoffed while rolling her eyes, making Syrena narrow her own at her.

"In good hands? You want me to believe that?" Liz asked.

"Yes."

"Bullshit! What good can you be for my daughter? You're poison!"

Syrena walked up and grabs the bars of the cage tightly, shaking her head.

"No, no you're the one who's poison! Horrid human poison, killing anything in its path with weapons and words. No, I did not lie to Lynn about what really happened to me! I did not sugar coat anything! I did not lie about the kind of monsters her parents truly are!"

"I am NOT a monster!" Liz roars.

Syrena shakes the bars harshly, before pressing her face up against them.

"ALL humans ARE monsters! And some monsters aren't so monstrous! Children of this age only believe in those lies because of fables, and fairy tales of old! Humans are the ones that made all of us creatures look out to be monsters from the very beginning!" Syrena yells.

"All humans are monsters, huh? What about Myers? Was he a monster?"

Syrena casted her eyes away. She let's go of the bars and moves a step back.

"...Myers." Syrena whispered.

"Yes Myers. He was a good man, a good agent, who was your friend and never betrayed you!" Liz said.

"He went along with the rest of Manning's crew to go out looking for NightShade to uses to kill me!"

"He didn't know it was for you. You'd really think Myers would go if Manning had told him the real reason why they were sent out there to get it? He didn't. Because he knew Myers wouldn't get the job done. He really cared for you, Syrena. He never knew the truth about the Nightshade. And he died because of you."

Syrena closed her eyes. She grabbed one bar with her hand, resting her head against another.

"It did hurt me to kill him. I'll admit that. And I did know of his growing affections towards me. But I'd never return them. Tell me, Liz. Do you know what it feels like to lose the people you love over, and over again? For all of them to die at the hands of someone you trusted, someone who was suppose to be your brother and have him betray you? Do you know anything about my pain?!"

Liz said nothing. Just stared at the Siren in front of her with sorrowful eyes. Syrena's eyes flashed yellow as they Liz's gaze.

"I didn't think so." Syrena growled.

"What do you want from us Syrena?" Liz asked.

"I want you and my brother to suffer. What else would there be?"

Syrena ran a finger nail up one of the bars, watching as it reached all the way to the top.

"In a few hours the blood moon will be at it's peak. The ritual will end, and I will walk the earth once more. With my little princess besides me. And you Elizabeth. You'll be gone forever."

A laugh left her lips at seeing the horror filled expression that went across Liz's face.

"You can't do that! Lynn isn't yours! She's my daughter!" Liz yelled.

Syrena backs away, hands behind her back. The wicked smile returned.

"After tonight...she'll be mine."