Chapter sixteen

Dedicated to @eightieslover and @highkeyqueen

○☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆○

The smirk on his face said it all. He knew I was uncomfortable and that only propelled him to bring his face even closer till his smell invaded my space. I could smell a hint of chlorine from the pool and his usual smell which was a mixture of his cologne and his natural smell.

He leaned even closer till I could feel his breath tickle my ear. "I know you want me," he leaned back with his smirk still intact and took the towel that was hanging on one of the chairs and walked away.

○☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆○

"Good morning," I greeted Ms James as I entered the kitchen, ready to help her prepare some breakfast.

"Morning dear." She answered.

"Can I help you with breakfast?" I walked over to where she was washing some strawberries.

She looked up at me and smiled, "Yes, dear." She stared at her wrist watch, "I'm actually having some tea with some of my friends so I'll be leaving in a few minutes. Can you help me with the waffles? I already made the batter," She pointed at a bowl on the counter containing the batter, "all that's left is to pour th-"

She was cut off by the shrill ringing of a phone that I suspected was hers. "Where did I put that thing now?" She asked. Though it seemed like she was asking herself rather than me.

I searched for the phone with my eyes and found it on top of the waffle iron, on the verge of falling. I quickly ran over and caught the phone before it hit the hardwood floor and gave it to Pauline before it stopped ringing.

She wipped her hands on the towel that was discarded near the sink and took the phone after saying a thank you before holding the phone in her right hand swipping across the screen using her left index finger. "Hello?" She answered as soon as she placed the phone to her ear. "Oh yes I'm on my way now. Let me just get my handbag ." She removed the phone from her ear and placed it on the counter. "That was Lucia," she said, "and she's outside so I'll be leaving."

"Okay," I smiled at her.

"I hope it's no trouble," she said with a worries marring her face.

"Oh no. Not at all." I shook my head. "I love cooking so I don't mind at all," I assured her with a smile.

"Thank you dear." She took her bag from the arm chair. "Just call me if you need anything," she added.

"I will."

She was half way through the door when the reflection of the light from the ceiling bounced off her phone and into my peripheral.

She'd almost left the one thing I was supposed to call her on.

I took the phone and rushed over to the foyer where she was now standing. "You forgot your phone."

"Oh my. I could have sworn I placed it in my bag," she said and peeped in her bag. "Thank you."

"It was no trouble."

I closed the front door after Ms James and her lady friend left and decided to make quick work of breakfast so that I could prepare myself for the wedding.

I placed the freshly made pancakes in a plate and poured syrup and placed some diced strawberries on top. I took my plate with a fork and glass of juice in hand, and sat down by the counter.

After having had four fork fulls of waffles, I heard shuffling come from behind me. I looked behind and saw Owen clad in sweats paired with a long sleeved shirt and yesterday's event came rushing before my eyes and I was filled with mortification all over again but I tried my hardest not to show it on my face.

"Morning." I greeted him but he only groaned in reply. I was about to comment on his lack of mannerism but the sight of him stopped me. "Are you ok?" I asked a little worried.

"Where's Gran?" He asked with a nasal voice, a contrast to his usual gruff voice.

"She said she was going to have tea with her friends." I answered watching him. He groaned and walked back to his room, a little slower than he usually would.

I walked over to Owen's room not sure if he would want to see me in his condition. I softly knocked on his door and waited for an answer. When I walked in, summing up that he probably wasn't up for talk, I noticed that the room was cocooned in darkness. I looked over at Owen who had managed to fall asleep minutes after just walking in his room.

I walked closer to his sleeping form and noticed the beads of sweat that had formed on his forehead. I placed the back of my hand on his forehead, careful not wake him up. He was burning hot with a fever and he'd covered himself with a comforter.

I walked over to the window to draw the curtains open and open let some fresh air in. After making sure that the windows were fully open, I headed to the kitchen and made him a bowl of soup. Once done, I placed the bowl, water and some pain relievers on a tray and took it over to Owen's room.

When I got in his room, I placed the tray on his bedside table and gently woke him up. He looked surprised for an instance but once he saw me, he emitted a sound that sounded like a groan.

"I made you some soup. Just take a few spoons and some painkillers and you feel much better." I reasoned with him as he tried to seat up, resting his back against the headboard.

"Can I get a spoon?" He asked looking at the tray and it was only then that I realised that I hadn't placed a spoon on the tray. I gave him a sheepish look before retrieving a spoon from the kitchen and handing it to him. He only managed to get five spoons on before saying he didn't want anymore. I handed him the painkillers and the glass of water. He took two and downed them with the water before placing them back on the tray.

"Um...you...you need to take off some of your clothes to cool down instead of keeping yourself warm. It only worsens the fever." I inform him and try to get up but his voice stops me.

"Can you help me?"

○☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆○