Epilogue

"Hey you."

He hugged me from behind nestling his head in my neck causing me to giggle a little and turn to face him.

"Hey." I wrapped my arms around his neck while his remaind on my waist.

"What?" I laughed a little at the look he was giving me.

He just shook his head in response as if to say "nothing".

He lifted his hand and caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. Once. Twice. Before leaning in for a soft kiss.

Not matter how many times we'd kissed before I still couldn't get over the way he managed to make me feel each time.

"Okay you two. Break it up there's kids here."

"Kate. Always the party pooper."

"Oh shut up."

I clearly remember the days that lead up to us being together.

It was just right after Owen left the day that I was detained. After finishing up with washing the wound I started off for home but then realised that Kate had left earlier to meet up with her boyfriend who was in town for a few days.

I got out my phone to ask mum if she could pick me up but her phone went directly to voicemail. "Oh great." I continued trying her phone in hopes she might pick up to no avail.

Then I noticed some students were still in school, most likely from practice.

I felt my hand sting and I winced in pain.

"Your band's bleeding. Come on." Dustin led me to one of the taps outside and asked to keep my hand under the water while he went to get something.

When he was back, he had a first aid kit in his hand.

"May I?"

I gave him my hand he wrapped up my hand in a gaze, stopping the bleeding.

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it."

He was about to say something when my phone started ringing.

"Lyra. Sorry my phone was off. Did you need something?"

"Yeah. Can you pick me up?"

"I'm actually just five minutes from your school."

"See you."

"You could have told me you needed a ride home."

"I didn't know you were still in school."

At that exact moment Owen's words came to mind but I quickly shook them off and walked over to the car park.

**********

I was belching to a song that was playing on the radio when I heard the doorbell ring.

I wasn't expecting anyone and mum was not home. When the door opened I was greeted with the familiar face of Dustin.

"Dustin, what are you doing here?"

"I was wondering if you would accompany me to the movies?"

"Uh...like a date?"

"No." He quickly answered then cleared his throat. "I mean it's just a casual thing. You know like friends."

"Uh...I can't." His face deflated at the response I gave him.

"Oh. Okay." He said already retreating.

"But you can come in if you want. I just kind of have to be home because mum's out for a bit."

He'd stayed and watched a movie with me that day. Things between us started to get less tense although I can't say that I didn't guard my heart because I did but a talk with Kate had me opening my eyes to positive things in life and not the negatives and not months later he'd asked me on a date.

On the night of the date he took me to the beach. I was a little skeptical at first wondering why he would take me there.

He had reassured me later after seeing the expression on my face that we wouldn't be swimming. The night was slightly chilly even with my jacket on.

"I didn't know it would be this chilly tonight."

"I don't mind." I had answered him.

After he had spread a blanket over the sand and we comfortably sat down ate his delicious home made food, it began to rain.

"I don't know what happened. I counter checked. Making sure that everything was just right. The weather was suppose to be clear today."

I wanted so badly to laugh at him being flustered but decided against it and instead helped him pack everything in the picnic busket.

He sighed heavily as if in defeat and got in the car but I stood outside.

"Hurry you might catch a cold." He had said.

But instead I just stood there and tilted my head up so that I was facing the sky.

He came over to where I was standing.

"You might catch a cold you know." He said but this time with a curve in the corners of his mouth.

"Was this your plan?"

He looked a little confused before asking, "what?"

"You know? Come over here and then kiss me in the rain?"

"Is that you asking me to kiss you?" By that time he was standing in front of me, close enough to me I lifted my head up to face him.

I didn't reply to his question. I had wanted to hit myself for having had said those words but then he stepped closer to me and leaned his forehead against mine, his left hand touching my cheek.

"Just." He started while caressing my cheek with his thumb. "Let me love you." My heart pounded in my chest and I could hear blood rushing in my ears. Shakily, I nodded my head about to say yes when his lips touched mine.

My whole body was shaking be it from the adrenaline, nervousness or the rain I couldn't tell.

His lips moved slowing against mine as if he was trying to tell me everything he felt through the kiss. I reached up and threaded my hand through his wet locks all the while hoping I could tell him what I couldn't say our loud through the kiss. Alas, we were human so we broke up from the kiss in need of air.

He stared in my eyes both of us sporting a grin before hugging me. I couldn't help but let out a giggle.

After that, Dustin and I went on a few more dates and five years later we are still in love.

The End.