Chapter Thirty

Sorry for not being around. I just had a really really hard time writing this chapter for some reason. Writers block maybe?

Thank you guys for staying with me and welcome to all the new readers.

Sorry for any typos I was rushing to finally have this up.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆○

I was in the sitting area when I heard someone knocking at the door.

When I opened the door I was greeted by a familiar face, though I couldn't place a finger on where I'd the face before.

"Hey." The woman smiled at me.

"Hey." I smiled back

"Uhm...I came to see Pauline. Is she around by any chance?"

"Not at the moment but she's out for a bit maybe you could wait for her inside?" I offered.

"Yes. Thanks."

I opened the door wider and gestured for her to enter the house.

"Would you like anything to drink."

"A glass of water would be just fine."

I headed over to the kitchen and took a glass from the cupboard before taking a container of water from the fridge and poured it in the glass.

"Here you go." I say after offering her the glass of water.

"Thanks."

Before the woman was even able to take the water, Owens voice echoed throughout the room venomously. "What are you doing here?"

When I turned to face him, I noticed that his face did not fail to project the venom that had been in his voice.

"What are you doing here?" He seethed in anger.

The woman quickly got up from the sofa, completely abandoning the glass of water on the coffee table.

"Owen I was only here to meet with Pauline I swear th-"

"You have absolutely no right to be here. I told you already to stay away from us."

"Please Owen I ju-"

"I don't want to hear any of your filthy lies!" He shouted. "Now get out before I force you out."

"Son I-"

Son?

Then it clicked. She was the woman I saw talking to Owen that Saturday Kate and I went for ice cream.

"Don't you ever call me that!" He roared. "You lost every right over me a long time ago. Now get out."

The woman at that point was full on crying, clutching at her shirt like it was a life line.

I stood there watching. I didn't think it would be wise if I said or did something. It really wasn't any of my business even I was in the middle. Literally.

Before the woman could open the front door, Ms. James walked in.

"Iris?" Came Ms James' voice.

Just at that moment, Owen took his car keys from the counter and slammed the door shut.

I looked at both women before excusing myself and bee lining for my room.

○☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆○

"Lyra, dear can you give this to Owen?" Ms. James passed over plate filled up with that nights dinner to me.

Owen had been gone most of the and only came back late at night. Drunk. He didn't bother listening to any of the things that his grandmother said or answer her questions either. Instead he went where he usually did when he had a lot on his mind.

"I don't think he'll eat the food. Especially if it's from me." I gave her my honest opinion.

"Please." She begged, her face taking on a saddening look.

Guilt did not wait look before it began eating me up so I took the plate from her intending on at least getting the food to Owen. I didn't know if the eating part was going to work.

The walk to the pool area felt shorter than I had anticipated. When I saw Owen sitting by the pool with his legs in the water, the idea of ditching the whole food giving bit seemed tempting but then the look on Ms James' face earlier popped in my and I forged on.

Without much thought to it, I placed the plate next to him.

"I'm sorry about earlier." I said quietly.

"Why are you apologising?"

"I..." I sat cross-legged next to him, "I was the one who allowed her in."

I expected him say something but he didn't and soon silence fell upon us but for the first time, there was nothing uncomfortable about it.

Thinking back to the day I first met Owen, never in my wildest dreams would I have ever thought that him and I would actually, well kind of, be able to sit down together without tension or any arguing going on.

"You know as a child I thought differently. My whole perspective on life was something I'd now call stupid. With the help of that woman, my eyes openned up to a lot of things." He took a swig from a bottle I hadn't noticed earlier. "She up and left." He took another swig. "She left without so much as a backwards glance." At this, he gave out a humourless laugh. "And now? Now she wants back into my life as if nothing happened. As if she never left her own son behind."

I remained quiet throughout his talk, not wanting to disturb him lest he stops getting everything off his chest.

"I hate her. I hate her so much." He seethed with anger, clutching the neck of his bottle tightly.

I felt my heart break at his confession. He didn't deserve to go through what he had. No one desrved to go through such a thing as heart breaking as that.

As time stretched on I felt the feelings I had tried to bury, resurfacing.

Maybe it was after seeing him in such a fragile state that my feelings began to steer.

Or maybe it was after somehow having spent some time with him?

I didn't know but the bottom line was my feelings had awakened.