11. Surprise

Nico

I sat down on a giant boulder with Atlas. Artemis and Athena had gone to the opposite side of the field, talking quietly amongst themselves. I sighed heavily and looked at the field full of holes in front of me. 

"We're going to give them a day. If none of the other Olympians reform in a day then we're getting out of here." Atlas said as he picked up a small rock and threw it. The rock struck Artemis in the leg and the Goddess whirled, her silver eyes full of hatred. 

"You filthy titan, I will end you here, right now!" Artemis started to run towards Atlas but Athena jumped forwards and grabbed Artemis around the waist. "Let me go, Athena!" The Goddess growled as she struggled against her half-sister. 

"Why did you have to provoke her like that?" I groaned as I listened to the angry yells from Artemis. Atlas shrugged, a sly smile on his face. "I really don't like her."

"Well, aren't you captain obvious." I muttered, and Atlas went to speak but suddenly I saw movement out of the corner of my eyes. I faced the giant field just as a male figure stepped out from one of the holes in the ground.

 He was taller than Artemis and Athena, and he was wearing a black cloak. The male had dark, emotionless onyx eyes and black hair. A stygian iron sword was strapped to his belt, like the same weapon that I own currently. 

My eyes widened in disbelief and happiness as the man's eyes locked with mine. He recoiled, surprised, and I remained silent, staring at my father.

Hades. 

Artemis and Athena both looked surprised, and Artemis had stopped fighting against Athena's hold when she spotted Hades. Atlas went rigid and tense beside me as he warily eyed the Lord of the Underworld.

Silence rolled across the field until Hades started to walk forwards, his eyes never straying from my face. I stood up from the boulder I was sitting on just as Hades reached me. He stopped about twenty centimetres away from me, a small smile appearing on his face.

"Father." I said, my voice full of shock. Hades just shook his head, a twinkle in his dark eyes. I deserted any ounce of self-restraint and launched myself at him, colliding hard with his chest and nearly knocking him over. My father immediately enveloped me into a hug, his arms wrapping around me.

"You're back. I thought I wouldn't be able to see you again." I whispered into his chest. "I reformed faster than I thought possible, in all honesty." Hades murmured as we pulled away.

Footsteps approached and I turned to see Artemis and Athena making their way over to my father. Hades put a hand on my shoulder as he turned to face the two Goddesses.

"Uncle Hades." Artemis and Athena said at the same time, both of them looking a little uncomfortable with being in my father's presence. Hades inclined his head to both of them before he glanced at me, his eyes narrowing slightly. 

"I forgot to address the most important question: What are you doing here in Tartarus, Nico!? It's dangerous, do you remember the last time you've been down here?" I sighed in exasperation at his words.

"Yes, I do remember what happened. I got captured and sealed in a giant ass glass jar, thanks dad for reminding me." I said bitterly. I was so weak and helpless back then, and the seven had to save me. And that resulted in Percy and Annabeth falling into Tartarus. 

Hades opened his mouth to probably scold me again before he paused, rage flaring in his eyes. I followed his gaze until I saw that it led to Atlas, who I had completely forgotten about. The titan had stood up, and was now meeting Hades's furious glare with his own.