21. Dread

Zoe

I walked aimlessly through the hallways of Olympus, not really putting much thought into where I was going. I passed by several of the mortals that Percy had turned into slaves. 

They were sweeping the hallway, and some were scrubbing the walls, making them shine in the light spilling in from the vaulted ceiling high above. I continued walking until I ran into someone and nearly fell.

I regained my balance to see a familiar mop of blonde hair. Jason Grace scowled at me, but then his expression instantly changed to respect. I could tell it was fake, though. 

"I apologize, Lady Zoe." Jason said through gritted teeth as he picked up the sponge he had been using before. "I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings." 

I eyed him carefully for a few seconds before clicking my tongue and walking off. As I neared the end of the hallway, I glanced back to see Jason staring at the sponge in his hand.

I shook my head before turning the corner and walking into the throne room. I saw Percy sitting on his throne, his elbow propped up on the armrest of the seat. His head was resting on his hand, and he had a small frown on his face. 

I walked towards him, and his eyes focused on me. His frown didn't disappear, though, and that worried me. I stopped in front of him and waited for my boyfriend to say something. 

Percy stared at me, his green eyes piercing through me, until he said "What is it, Zoe?"

"Are you okay? What's bothering you?" I questioned as I reached out and grabbed Percy's hand. I laced my fingers with his and smiled faintly at the former son of Poseidon. Percy blinked at me before managing a small smile of his own. 

"Nothing. Nothing I haven't shared with you yet." He squeezed my hand before rising from his throne and stepping down to face me. 

"Where did you go earlier? I went to look for you, and you weren't anywhere to be found inside the castle." I asked. Percy bit his lip before releasing my hand suddenly, surprising me. 

He walked past me to go to the large window stationed at the centre of the throne room. I hurried over to join him, and the two of us stared out at Mount Olympus. 

Several mortals were outside tending to the gardens, and I smiled at how beautiful the flowerbeds and bushes were. The Olympians at least kept their gardens in good shape. 

After several minutes of silence between us, Percy spoke again. "I was out in the gardens this morning. I was walking around trying to clear my head when I saw Phoebe in the archery range." 

I raised an eyebrow, confused about why Percy was so interested in Phoebe. "Uh......Alright? That still doesn't explain much." 

Percy scoffed as he placed his hands onto the window ledge. "I wasn't even finished yet." I sighed before poking him, telling him that he should continue his explanation. 

"When I asked if I could join her in training, she seemed like she really didn't want me to. After a minute, she excused herself to go take a walk around the gardens. I don't trust her." Percy said, glancing at me briefly before looking back at the window. 

"She's been working for you for five years, Percy." I said, narrowing my eyes at him. "Surely she would've had a change of heart sooner?" 

He exhaled, his shoulders slumping as he continued to gaze out the window. "I know Phoebe is having second thoughts about joining my army, my Queen. I fear she's going to end up defecting over to Nico's side." 

"You shouldn't worry about that." I protested, putting a hand on his shoulder. "If she does end up defecting, then just kill....kill......" Percy smirked slightly as I trailed off, not finishing my sentence.