36. Horror

Nico

I was in complete shock at what I saw. 

Complete shock. 

Percy's fire illuminated the entire cell, and at the back of the cellblock, chained to the wall by her wrists and ankles, was Annabeth. 

Her head was bowed, and I saw that her clothes were nothing but tattered rags, barely hiding her chest and legs. Multiple deep gashes covered her skin, and the floor below her was covered in..... Golden ichor? 

Anger boiled inside of me, and I whirled to glare furiously at the King of Olympus. "What the fuck is this? What have you been doing to her!?" 

Percy raised an eyebrow, using the fire in his hand to light a torch at the back of the cell. "You should know what I've doing to her, dear cousin. I know you used to come and spy on the prisoners I have in my care. Don't act so surprised." 

"I've never been to the dungeons." I snarled angrily at him. "You-You can't do this to her! You're killing her!" 

"No I'm not. You've noticed the ichor on the ground, hm?" Percy waved a hand at the golden splatters on the cell floor. I glanced at Clarisse and saw that she looked like she wanted to throw up. 

I honestly feel like throwing up too. 

The corner of Percy's mouth lifted up into a smirk, and he said "I've turned her immortal. She won't die on me anytime soon." 

"Have you at least fed her!? Even if you did turn her immortal, she needs food AND water!" Clarisse snapped. Percy rolled his eyes and snapped his fingers, the sound echoing throughout the spacious dungeon. 

Nothing happened for a few seconds until I heard running footsteps approaching us. I turned and my eyes widened as I saw Poseidon appear out of the shadows, carrying a tray of water and a piece of bread. He passed Clarisse and I without sparing us a glance, and stopped in front of Percy. 

With shaking fingers, the weakened God lifted the tray towards Percy, but the demi-primordial shook his head and pointed at Annabeth. "Don't give that to me." 

Poseidon pursed his lips before walking up to the daughter of Athena's limp body. He set the tray aside on top of a table and gently shook her shoulder, trying not to touch her injures. "Annabeth." 

The girl didn't give any indication that she had heard or felt Poseidon shaking her, and I started to panic, thinking that she was dead. But when Poseidon shook her again, Annabeth shifted and groaned under her breath. 

She lifted her head, and I winced as I saw that there were more injures on her cheeks and forehead. Annabeth gasped in shock when she saw that Clarisse and I were standing in front of her, and I saw a that a small smile had appeared on her disfigured face. 

I couldn't help but smile back at her, knowing that the daughter of Athena had suffered horrific abuse at the hands of Percy, and by seeing some of her friends would lift her mood slightly. 

"Clarisse, Nico! What are you guys-" Annabeth wasn't able to finish her question as she started to cough, golden ichor dripping out of the corners of her mouth. Alarmed, I snatched the water from the tray and quickly held it up to her lips. "Drink it, please!"

Annabeth gratefully drank the entire glass of water, and when she had finished it, I put it back down onto the tray. Before I could say anything else, Clarisse suddenly shouted "What the Hades is wrong with you, Jackson!? Nobody deserves to be treated like this! You aren't even feeding her or giving her water!" 

I glanced at Percy, who was watching me silently. He turned his gaze to the fuming daughter of Ares, before snapping his fingers once more. Poseidon, who was standing near Annabeth, quickly grabbed the tray, placed the plate of bread onto the table, and left the cell.