12. Roadblock

Nico

I walked with the five immortal beings through Tartarus, all of us edgy and on guard. I clutched my sword tightly the entire time.  Artemis and Athena were ahead, while I stayed in the back with Apollo, Atlas, and my father. 

"How can you tell if we're even going in the right direction?" I asked. Atlas turned his steely gaze to me, and it took a lot of effort not to shrink underneath his stare. 

"Don't question us, Son of Hades. You're with five immortals, we'll lead you to the right direction." 

Artemis and Athena turned when they heard Atlas speak. Artemis raised an eyebrow, her eyes glowing in the darkness of Tartarus. "For once, the Titan is right. We know where we're going." 

I held up my hands in defeat. If I said anything else, the five immortals would most likely get angry and smite me. Atlas, Artemis and Athena eyed me suspiciously for a moment before they turned their attention back to the front.

Hades gave me a look before leaving Apollo's side to walk beside Atlas and I. Atlas seemed a little uncomfortable about being so close to the Lord of the Underworld, but he didn't say anything. 

"We'll get out of here alive, Nico. Don't worry. You have Artemis, Athena, Apollo, Atlas, and I to protect you." Hades said softly. I looked at my father, looking straight into his eyes. I found no trance of doubt so I nodded slowly. 

Hades then did something that shocked me immensely. He put his arm around my shoulders, pulling me close to his side. My eyes widened in shock, and even Atlas looked stunned at the amount of affection that the normally stoic God showed. 

"Once we get out of here, my son, we'll go to Olympus and take back what is ours from your cousin." Hades muttered into my ear.  "He's been in power for too long. The world is turning into chaos because of him." 

"Yeah, and we also have to save Poseidon, Zeus, Hestia, and Ares. Along with the demigods Percy has as slaves." I sighed, reaching up to run a hand through my messy hair. 

Hades' hand tightened around my shoulder when I mentioned his godly relatives. "How long as it been since Perseus took the throne?" I paused, raking my brain to try and remember how long ago it was since Percy became King of Olympus. 

"I think it was about....five years ago? Ten years ago? I lost track of time. I've been busy these past years gathering my army, recruiting people, trying to figure out a way to help rescue the remaining Olympians and demigods." I sighed again, suddenly feeling so overwhelmed and exhausted. 

"Like your dad said, we're going to get out of here and kill Perseus." Atlas' voice held hatred and loathing when he spoke my cousin's name. I understood where it was coming from, though. Percy had killed Atlas, even when the Titan was defenceless. He killed Atlas just to deliver a punishment to Zeus. 

Even I thought that wasn't okay. And I've been brought up with the knowledge of killing monsters, defeating Titans, and overall just to kill anyone that stood in the way of the Olympians. 

Then I remembered what Atlas said. I looked at him, my eyes narrowing. "Kill?" Atlas seemed confused about what I asked, before he nodded. "Yes, kill. Nico, look at all the crimes he had committed. He's killed mortals, killed demigods, and enslaved Olympians. Perseus deserves to die." 

I knew my cousin has done many terrible things. Such as torturing his ex-girlfriend, and making Zeus hold the sky. But I couldn't let Percy die. He stills holds some sort of special place in my heart. 

Yeah, I know. I sound fucking insane right now. 

"Is there another way?" I asked. Atlas and Hades stared at me in disbelief. "Another way? Son, there is no other way. Perseus has been given powers by the Primordials themselves. We can't imprison him. He has to die, or else the world will be in even worse shape than it is right now."

I gritted my teeth and forcibly removed Hades' arm from around my shoulders. Hades looked hurt by my actions but I ignored it and glared at the Titan of endurance and strength, and at the Lord of the Underworld. 

"He's still my cousin! Dad, he's still your nephew! You can't kill him, no matter what terrible things he's done!" 

Something flickered in Hades' dark eyes before he scowled at me. "You're delusional. He's tortured people, killed people! Nico, I'm not going to argue with you on this topic. Once we get the throne and Olympus back from Perseus, Zeus will execute him." 

I growled under my breath before I stormed away from Atlas and Hades. I didn't look where I was going before I slammed into something hard. A hand grabbed my wrist and I looked up to see the frown upon Artemis' face. 

"Watch where you'll going or you'll end up in there." The Goddess pointed at a deep hole in front of me. Artemis released my wrist and I walked forwards to look down into the hole. It was so deep that I couldn't see the bottom. 

"Thanks." I said, and Artemis nodded curtly in response. I walked beside her and Athena for a few more moments before Athena broke the silence. 

"We're almost to the exit, I can sense it." She kept her grey eyes trained on the darkness in front of us, her hand tightening around the hilt of her spear. Artemis pursed her lips as she brandished her hunting knives. 

We continued on for a few more minutes before Artemis hissed "Stop!" I opened my mouth to ask why, before strong arms encircled themselves around my waist and yanked me down to the ground. I looked back to see Artemis next to me, but when she saw me looking at her she quickly released me. 

We were crouched behind a large ledge, so I eased myself up to peer over. In front of us, below the ledge, was a large plain. Figures moved around, but I could hear the grunts and growls of monsters in the distance. 

I swallowed before I dropped back down and flattened myself against the ledge. "Oh gods. Oh gods." 

"Annabeth described this to me when her and Perseus left Tartarus." Athena murmured. The Goddess was rigid and tense, her knuckles white as she gripped her spear like a lifeline. "The final test to escape Tartarus." 

"This isn't going to go well, is it?" Apollo whispered. The normally cheerful sun God was pale as a sheet as he surveyed the amount of monsters below. 

Hades' sword appeared in his hand, and his face was determined. "We can take them. Five immortals and a powerful demigod against a bunch of stupid monsters? We're fine." 

I smiled slightly at my father's words. I really hoped he was right. 

Athena sighed before she muttered "Well, I see no other way out of this. Let's go." Before anyone could say anything else, the Goddess leapt over the ridge and down to the field below. 

Word count: 1196

IM BACK GUYS AHAHAHAH I PUBLISHED THIS CHAPTER DURING SCHOOL AHAHAHAH