17. Concern

Nico

The sound of running water filled the sound of the small room that I was in. When we had built the base, we'd discovered that we were building into a part of some sort of underground bunker. We found running water, which equals showers and washrooms.

Basically we found the essential shit we need to survive. 

I watched the water hit the ground then flow into a small, rusted drain in the corner of the room. Before I took my shirt off, I made sure that I had locked the door behind me. 

Don't want anyone running in here and seeing me naked. 

I finally slid my shirt off over my head before throwing it on top of a rock ledge. I stepped underneath the water and saw that the dirt and grime on me was washed away. The water was mixed with blood and monster dust.

I ran my hands through my hair, frustrated. Will Solace, that damn annoying son of Apollo! He treats me like I'm five, like I'm fragile. Like I'm a piece of glass that's ready to shatter. 

I sighed and let my arms drop. I knew I couldn't lie to myself any longer, though. That isn't good for me. 

I had a massive crush on Will. 

He was annoying, sure, but I know he only wants what's best for me. He cares about me like the way Bianca did, and that was saying something. Bianca protected me when no else was able to. 

Will was the opposite of me. He's cheerful, happy, joyful, and looks on the positive side of things most of the time. I, on the other hand, thinks negative and thinks the world is going to end, which it probably will with Percy ruling. 

Like everyone says as an expression, opposites attract. 

I was broken out of my thoughts by someone knocking loudly on the metal door. I jumped, startled, and I nearly slipped and smashed my head on the floor. Gritting my teeth, I calmed myself down before I yelled "WHAT THE HADES DO YOU WANT?"

There was a pause, before a familiar voice that belonged to the certain blonde haired son of Apollo called "Is everything okay? I don't want you slipping or cracking your skull in." 

I huffed, but a small smile graced my lips. "I'm fine!" I imagined Will smiling on the other side of the door. 

"That's good. You should hurry up though, the immortals you brought with you want to address something." 

I sighed before I reached up, turning  off the water. I watched the remaining water flow into the drain before I muttered "I'm coming. Tell them to wait and not be so impatient." 

"Yeah." I listened as Will's footsteps retreated, before I shadow-travelled over to the rock ledge where I had thrown my shirt. I pulled my shirt back on and walked over to the metal door. I unlocked it before I stepped out. 

I grabbed a towel from a rack before messing up my hair, trying to dry it as much as possible. I walked into the main room to see Artemis, Athena, Atlas, Apollo, and my father still sitting at the long table. Clarisse and Will were there along with Katie and Malcolm. 

"Where's everyone else?" I asked as I sat down. "I sent them out to scout the area in case Perseus is trying to locate us." Artemis replied as she fiddled with the hilt of her hunting knife. 

The Goddess glanced at me before she slid her knife back into it's sheath. "Down to business. We've picked a final date to launch our attack on Perseus." 

"And when's that?" I murmured as I tossed the towel into a basket nearby. "In two days time." Athena interjected. 

I looked at the seated immortals before I exhaled and shrugged. "I mean, there isn't anything else we can do. Waiting for longer just means that Percy will have a tighter hold over Olympus. We best end it as soon as possible." 

"My million dollar question is, what if we lose?" Malcolm asked. The son of Athena was sitting rigid and tense on his chair. I closed my eyes and opened my mouth to answer, but Clarisse beat me to it.

"If we lose, we either die or get enslaved. If we lose, the whole world will soon be under Percy's control and it would be chaotic." Clarisse blew some hair out of her face before she smiled humourlessly at Malcolm's pale face. "Oh come on, you knew that already."

"So in two days time. Then tomorrow we need to focus on training." I said, slouching against the back of my chair.

"Yeah. How are we going to get into Olympus though to free the slaves?" Katie asked as she tapped her nails anxiously on the stone table. Artemis pinched the bridge of her nose, but instead of her answering, my father butted in.

"With the help of Nico and I." Hades looked at me, and I grimaced at those words. I knew I still needed to practice on doing that for long periods of time. 

"Shadow-travelling." Athena said with a nod. 

"Yes. We advance to Olympus, and then Nico and I will shadow-travel inside. We'll bring some people with us to search for the slaves while the rest of you distract Percy and his army as much as possible." Hades explained.

"Okay. Bring Artemis and I with you inside." Apollo said. The Goddess of the Moon simply sighed and leaned back against her chair. "Sounds fair enough. The rest of us will then distract Perseus and his army with the help of the remaining demigods." Atlas continued. 

I breathed out a sigh of relief once I heard that we'll only be bringing Artemis and Apollo inside. Hades caught my eye and he winked.

"I'm going to go spend this extra time to train." Athena said, standing up and stretching. She grabbed her spear and shield and walked off. Atlas stood up as well, before following the Goddess into the training area.

"I think that's a good idea." I made to stand up, but Hades grabbed my arm and pulled me back into my seat. "No. We've just returned from Tartarus, you're not going to train today. Give yourself a break." 

I scowled but I listened to my father. Artemis studied me from across the table, her silver eyes locked on me. I was uncomfortable under her piercing gaze, but then she spoke.

"Thanks for rescuing us out of Tartarus, son of Hades." I was surprised by her words, but I tried my best not to show it. The Moon Goddess wasn't big on speaking to males, and even giving her gratitude towards them.

"Uh-Yeah, no problem. I'm always here to help." I stuttered. Apollo snickered quietly at me from behind his twin. 

I glared at him before I put my elbows on the table and put my head in my hands. I was suddenly so exhausted. 

Hades noticed that and he stood up, grabbing my arm once again. I felt a familiar tug and we disappeared and appeared inside a small room with one bed. 

Hades practically shoved me onto the bed, and I collapsed onto the blankets. "Get some rest, my son." The Lord of the Underworld said. Before I could protest, Hades waved his hand and muttered "Sleep."

My eyes closed. 

Word count: 1220

Not much action in this chapter but there's going to be a lot of it in the next few chapters.