e i g h t

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙀𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏—𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙀𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏
—𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵—

𝙄𝙏 𝙎𝙀𝙀𝙈𝙀𝘿 𝘼𝙎 though the day went by faster than Bryce Dylan thought possible. But perhaps it was just because Danny was with her, his arm wrapped around her waist and encouraging her to go a little further into the water every time a new ten minute interval rolled by. And when the waves finally reached her neck, his hands grew firm on her hips and he lifted her into his strong arms. At first Bryce was caught off guard, then she relaxed. But it was the sight of Evelyn, perched on a faraway rock with her eyes focused on something in the distance, that made her move back to her feet.

"I'll be right back," Bryce says to Danny, holding onto his hand for a short moment before trailing off to the shore. Danny watched carefully as she moved towards Evelyn, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. And yet he didn't question it.

"Why did you leave Danny?" Evelyn asks as Bryce comes into view. "Today is the day for the two of you, don't you think you should be with him instead of being over here with me?"

"Friendship is important to me, Evelyn," the brunette replies, perching herself on the beach towel next to her. "You are important to me. And that means your problems are mine. So what's going on, Evelyn? Why are you up here all alone when you could come with us?"

"I sent Rafe a letter quite a few days ago, and he hasn't responded yet," she sighs, shaking her head. "It just makes me think that something bad had happened to him, you know? Things like that worry me, and I can't seem to get it out of my head. I didn't want to ruin your time with Danny by fretting over Rafe the whole time."

"You have every right in the world to worry about him," Bryce places a soothing hand on her shoulder. "But I want you to be happy; to have at least a single day when you aren't running to the post office to see if he's responded. You deserve an afternoon of relaxation. You work too long and too hard to be doing anything else."

"What if he doesn't write back, Bryce?" Evelyn drops her head to her hands. "I can't stand not knowing what's going on with him. I have no idea what I'd do if he didn't come back . . . do you think he'll come home soon?"

"One can only hope that he'll come back safe," the woman averts her eyes to Danny, watching closely as he darts forward to try and catch a fish. "If I was in your position and Danny was gone, let's just say that I wouldn't be able to keep as much composure. You're very strong. And so is Rafe. Now get down there Evelyn Johnson, and find some happiness in your day at the beach."

With a short chuckle, Evelyn and Bryce move to their feet, both of them retreating to the water. Just as Bryce merges into the cold waves, Danny pulls her forward into his arms. "I found you something," he says, flashing his dimples as he opens up a gray clam. "I heard that these things carry around pearls, so I decided to experiment for myself. Do you like it?"