n i n e

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙀—𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙀
—𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘥𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴—

     𝙏𝙊 𝙎𝘼𝙔 𝙏𝙃𝘼𝙏 Bryce had cried would be the understatement of the century; hearing that Evelyn had lost the love of her life broke the woman's heart and made her imagine how her life would so easily fall apart if she were in the same situation. Maybe she wouldn't talk to anyone for a few months— and maybe she wouldn't talk again. And maybe, just maybe, she'd vow to never love again. And with the way Evelyn was handling the situation, she suspected that the raven-haired woman might actually be debating that. But Bryce didn't blame her; who could?

It was an hour later than from the time Danny had visited the two women in uniform, and the three of them were now outside of the nurse house, perched on the edge of a beautifully sculpted marble fountain. But the moonlit view, nor the breathtaking pattern of the fountain could shake any of them from their daze. They each sat next to Danny, and Bryce's head rested on his shoulder as she wiped away her tears. Evelyn hadn't said a word yet, only listening to the words that fell from Danny's lips when he told them what had happened.

Rafe had been fighting with the air force in England, and his plane had been shot. A fire had erupted, and the man attempted to bail out— but before he could, he had crash-landed into the ocean below. Only a few of his fellow pilots had made it back, and reported their losses to the general, who had then contacted Lieutenant Colonel James Doolittle. The news was then passed down to Danny, who took on the task of telling Evelyn; which was most certainly harder than he originally expected.

So here they sat, not one of them murmuring underneath the night sky. It was too dark for them to say anything— and it wasn't because of the black sky, but because of the darkness that had consumed their hearts for the time being. What could they say? But Danny finally found his words, and spoke clearly when he did so.

"He loved you, you know," his coarse voice says, his eyes finding Evelyn. "You were all he ever talked about when we were out— I can't tell you how many times he retold me the way the two of you met."

"Two months ago, when I was checking records at the hospital," Evelyn sniffles, chuckling as she wipes away a few of her tears with the back of her hand. "You were there, too, and tried to help him cheat on the eye exam. I covered for him, and he tried to woe me with whine after my shift ended."

"He bragged to everyone about your date that week," Danny continues. "Didn't shut up about how amazing you were. I was always so jealous of his ability to win you over so easily—" he pauses for a short moment, his fingers intertwining with Bryce's; a small gesture that hinted that he had, in fact, found the same thing in Bryce that Rafe had found in Evelyn. "I'm sorry you didn't get to see him before he left."