e p i l o g u e

𝙀𝙋𝙄𝙇𝙊𝙂𝙐𝙀—𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦—

𝙀𝙋𝙄𝙇𝙊𝙂𝙐𝙀
—𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘸𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦—

𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙎𝙀𝙏𝙏𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝙎𝙐𝙉 was red, but not just a normal bright red that reminded everyone of blood— but a maroon red; one like the color of the comforter in the nurses' community house that Bryce once lived in. It was the color of the roses Danny had brought to the front door on his first date with the raven-haired woman. It was the color of the crisp leaves that fell from the trees on the windy day of their final date together, when Danny had proposed.

But it was also the color of the casket.

Evelyn And Rafe, like everyone else, wore black. But Danny and Bryce wore white— a silk dress lined Bryce's body, while Danny wore a suit that matched. They laid side-by-side, one hand on their torso. But Bryce's other hand was interlaced with Danny's, laying between the two of them. Her gold ring was no longer on her right hand, but strung along a silver chain that was fastened at the back of her neck.

Rafe takes the free hand of his best friend, gritting his teeth as his bottom lip trembles. "Do you remember the time you and I took off on your old man's plane? The look on his face as we made a clear shot through his field? I remember that like it was yesterday. I remember you like you were here a few minutes ago, talking to me about how one day you were going to marry Bryce and you were going to be the happiest man to ever live."

"And now you can be," he says, raising one hand to his burning eyes. "So you be the happiest you can be, Danny Walker, and you get the girl. Marry her. And then wait for me to be there with you."

Rafe had placed a picture of he and his best friend inside of Danny's chest pocket, before stepping back and letting his tears fall freely. Evelyn, Rose, and Candice had moved forward next, each of them placing a soft kiss on Bryce's forehead. As Candice pulled away, her cherry-red lipstick left a lasting stain.

"Sorry, B," Candice giggles, wiping at her own tears.

But as Candice and Rose went back to the crowd of others, Evelyn stayed put. She ran her fingers through her friend's hair, biting her lip.

Bryce's hair was in soft waves, and there was only the slightest of blush on her cheeks— Evelyn had suggested it, because it felt like Bryce to have a tinge of pink in her cheeks. Danny's hair was combed back, but went without gel; it was never like Danny to use hair products. They looked peaceful amongst the many red roses that rested around them, almost as if they were sleeping soundly.

"You look so beautiful, Bryce," Evelyn says, her voice shaking with every word. "But I think Danny could agree with me when I say that it's nothing new for you." The brunette woman chuckles, swallowing back her urge to sob. "Your dress is perfect. I always imagined the only time I'd ever convince you to wear all white would be on your wedding day . . . "

"But you're with Danny now, and that's all that matters," she chokes. "You're happy, and you don't have to worry about anything. You deserve to be happy. That's all I ever wanted for you— and I'm so glad that Danny changed your whole world." Evelyn strokes her cheek. "And even though I miss you with everything in me, I'm so thankful I got to know you while you were here, Bryce Dylan. You were my sunshine, and I look forward to seeing you in the sky every morning when I wake up."

She leans down, her lips lingering on the woman's forehead with her eyes closed. Upon standing, Evelyn wipes away her tears, and takes a few steps back to clasp Rafe's arm.

Two pilots step forward, closing the casket and leaving the couple in darkness. With a clasped lock, it is lowered into the ground, amongst the damp soil.

And then they began to shovel dirt in on top of it— covering up the maroon casket slowly, but surely. Everyone began to disperse, leaving to go back to their homes. But Rafe and Evelyn stayed glued to their spots, watching as their best friends were buried.

The sky was gray now, but not just a soft color like that of which you'd find as the soft fur on a teddy bear— but a sharp gray; one like that of the Japanese bomber ships that flew over Pearl Harbor. It was the color of Bryce's nightgown during her short stay at the hospital. It was the color of the thunderous clouds during the storm that came after Danny passed.

It was the color of the silk sheet that rested below the backs of Danny and Bryce's bodies as they now rested together, in peace, six feet underground.

_______