s i x t e e n

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙄𝙓𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉—𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘦 𝘪'𝘮 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙄𝙓𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉
—𝘸𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘦 𝘪'𝘮 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘺—

𝙐𝙋𝙊𝙉 𝙊𝙋𝙀𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙂 𝙃𝙀𝙍 eyes, Bryce realizes that Danny is no longer by her side. In fact, she was alone in the sterile room, and was now wearing a dark gray hospital gown. The small room smelled of bleach and disinfectant, and the blood that had previously pooled at the side of the bed— Bryce's blood— had been cleaned, with no trace left behind. The Dylan woman was relieved to see that her wound had been re-bandaged, and the sheets beneath her had been cleaned. But how long had it been since she fell asleep?

It was morning now; and it clearly hadn't been dark when the bombing started. She assumed she had slept for a quite a while, seeing how it had still been mid-day when Danny showed up at the hospital to be by her side.

Danny.

Her heart aches at the mere thought of him. Not only did he have to see her the day before, but he had to face the facts that she might not make it much longer. Bryce did feel better this morning— but she knew that she only felt that way due to the morphine that was injected into her veins from the intravenous infusion in her left arm. Hopefully, she would be able to get an x-ray that would tell everyone the severity of the bullet's travel. During the procedure, the surgeon hadn't been able to waste time with examining her complete state— he only had limited minutes to get the bullet out, then move on to another patient down the hall.

And that was the most terrifying part to Bryce; knowing that she, at this very moment, could be dying and no one would ever know. But she didn't consider the thought. She had too much to live for, and she wouldn't give up this easily— Bryce Dylan was not a quitter, especially when it came to the promises she had made to Danny. Forever. She intended on keeping that promise.

"Oh, you're awake," a nurse steps in, giving her a smile. "How are you feeling, Ms. Dylan?"

"Better," Bryce replies, clearing her throat. "I'm sorry, but was there a man here last night?"

"I traded shifts with Evelyn, but by that time, no one else was in the room," the woman tells her. "I hope you don't mind that I changed your bed sheets— though you probably didn't notice. The other one needed to be cleaned, as I'm sure you're aware. And I also brought some more blankets if you need them."

"Thank you," Bryce gives her a weak smile, her heart sinking. Where had Danny gone last night? The thought worried her slightly, because what if the bombings weren't over? There could be another wave coming at that very second, and he was out there somewhere, away from her. "Could I have something to drink? My throat is sore."