a f t e r t a s t e

𝘼𝙁𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙏𝘼𝙎𝙏𝙀—𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳—

𝘼𝙁𝙏𝙀𝙍𝙏𝘼𝙎𝙏𝙀
—𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘪𝘵'𝘴 𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳—

❝ a final goodbye to
our favorite couple. ❞

𝙄𝙏 𝙒𝘼𝙎 𝘽𝙍𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏. Perhaps it would be too bright to see any of his surroundings— but Danny was only assuming, as his eyes were still closed. His body was basking in the sun, the warmth radiating from his tanned skin. But it wasn't a scorching feeling; it was one of relaxation and comfort that overwhelmed every part of his being. He couldn't quite comprehend what was happening, seeing as he was dying only minutes ago.

But now . . . now nothing hurt. Danny was free of pain, of the burning sensation that had seared inside of him for the longest time before it had ended all at once. He remembers looking up at the sky, wishing for it to all go away— but more than that, he wished to see Bryce. It had been a while since he had heard her laugh, and it had brought out the longing in him.

But he knew now that she was okay again, somewhere up in the sky, resting in peace and solace just like she deserved . . . but how was it possible that he knew that? Well, now that he was gone, he somehow felt that she was too. Something in him just ached to see her, and he couldn't help but tug at that feeling. The one that begged for him to think about the first time he kissed her, or even the last moments he had with her. He wasn't sure why, but he could almost hear her calling his name.

Danny's body erupted into shock, like pinpricks everywhere— a shiver made its way up his back, and his lips parted at the sensation. Now he was hearing things. More than just his name dripping like honey from her soft lips; it was birds, and suddenly he could feel a cool breeze and could almost hear it whipping through the branches on trees, and parting through the hair of a certain brunette that had the key to his heart. His senses opened up, and he could smell the most beautiful things— flowers in an open field, sweet coffee from an opening door at a cafè, and life. It was nothing like he imagined, though, it was like there was so much more than what he had lived with, than what he could sense.

It was then that he realized he was standing, his feet planted firmly on something he figured was pavement. And now that he was paying attention, he could hear her again.

"Danny."

He hadn't heard her voice since he was sitting next to her hospital bed, begging her to stay awake. And she had for a while, but had fallen unconscious after all of the pain medication had set it.

His heart could have stopped in his chest. And so he found that he could open his eyes, and that the light wasn't quite as bright as he thought. But as he opened them, he couldn't focus on any of the scenery around him— around them. All he knew was her. All he wanted was her. All he could see and breathe was her.

Her lips were pulled into a grin that showed her pearly teeth, and almost made the fluorescence seem like nothing. Her black locks fell down by her shoulders, and her peachy cheeks were daunted with her natural beauty. A white lace dress was fitted to her body perfectly, and framed every inch of her silhouette. Danny releases a sigh of utter happiness, his honey eyes meeting her chocolate ones.

But this time, he had no desire for anything more than to spend eternity with the girl that stood before him, looking so magnificent that he felt as though it was a dream. How could he possibly deserve to be here? It didn't matter, he thought, as he took a step forward, his chest completed with bliss and acceptance.

His lips parted one more time, almost as if to reassure himself that she was really here, in front of him, and it wasn't a figment of his imagination.

"Bryce?"

His voice cracks, as if he'd been waiting to say that for an eternity and finally had his opportunity. He wanted to reach out and feel her smooth, silk skin, and to hold her in his arms and never let go.

"I've been waiting for you," her voice is angelic as her eyes light up with contentment. "Welcome to our forever."

_______

❝ im not crying, you are! thank
you guys soooooo much for being
patient with this book and for
sticking with it til the end! im so
happy with how it turned out, and
i hope it's a book you guys will
never forget!! ❞