s e v e n t e e n

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉—𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘪 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳—

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙋𝙏𝙀𝙍 𝙎𝙀𝙑𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉
—𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘪𝘭 𝘪 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘩𝘦𝘳—

     𝙄𝙏 𝙃𝘼𝘿 𝘽𝙀𝙀𝙉 a week since Danny left Bryce, and a week since she had been able to eat. It wasn't just the short-mounted sorrow that made the woman lose her appetite, but the constant searing in her abdomen that almost made her vomit at the mere thought of choking something down. Amberley and Evelyn had to feed her through an IV three times a day, all the while Bryce sat back and stared at the wilting roses on her bedside table. The hospital was exactly the same every day— she saw the same nurses, the same styrofoam cups of water, the same full ceiling, everything. She missed being home.

She missed work, and looking forward to Danny ditching with her. She missed Evelyn's sweets, nights out with the girls, and her nonstop bickering with Rafe. She missed eating potato chips with Danny and telling him how her day with. She missed living— it was as if she were in an alternate universe.

She had no letters from Danny yet, and that worries her even more. What if something had happened? She couldn't bare the thought. All of the stress on her shoulders was becoming too much, and she just wanted to be free of it all.

And now, she would have to face her biggest fear.

"How are you doing this afternoon?" Amberley steps inside the room with her clipboard, dressed in her usual uniform. "Having any chest pains? Back problems?"

"My heart hurts." Bryce says, her voice soft. "I feel like I can't breathe, but I don't want to move."

With furrowed eyebrows, Amberley moves quickly to check Bryce's vitals. "Everything looks fine . . . do you need me to go get the doctor? How bad is it?"

"Not unbearable, but I want you to get Evelyn." Bryce licks her lips, clenching her eyes shut. "Please."

Something wasn't quite right, and Bryce could feel it deep down in her chest. It was more than just her heart pains; it was the feeling that something was about to go wrong. But not only with herself— with someone else, and she could only assume it was Danny. Evelyn races into the room, grasping the bed railing while out of breath.

"Amberley said you can't breathe properly," Evelyn manages, frantically looking over her best friend. "Please tell me you're okay, Bryce."

"Something is wrong with my heart," the raven-haired girl shakes her head, tears leaking from her eyes. "There's pressure building up around it, and I have a terrible feeling about this, Evelyn."

"Hey, just look at me, okay?" The brunette says quickly, meeting Bryce's eyes. "I'll go get the doctor and we can figure this out. Everything is—"