Not so smart

Melissa

    I totally forgot it was Monday. I went to take Farley for a quick walk to the park but then I ran into Chris....and I forgot about everything else in the world. Including that my boss, Dr. Smith, wanted me and Dr. Jordan to take over for him at the vet  this week.
    I dropped Farley back off at my loft and told Chyler I was late and had to go. She said it was fine and that she'd come back after work.

    When I got to the vet, thankfully, Dr. Jordan texted me with enough time to get there before Dr. Smith left. I rushed inside and took my place in a line with all the other employees.
    I stood beside Dr.Jordan and whispered to him, "Thank you Jeremy."
"No problem." He winked.
    After a long speech about how to properly take care of things, Dr. Smith said, "Dr. Jordan and Dr. Benoist, I hope you two will do a good job taking care of this place until I get back."
    "We will." I said.
    "Don't worry Dr. Smith, everything here is in good hands." Dr. Jordan said guiding him to the door.
    "You have a good week with your family. Safe travels!" He said closing the door.
    When Dr. Smith got into the car and drove away Dr. Jeremy turned around and yelled, "PARTY TIME!" Everyone laughed. "I'm just kidding. Everyone back to work!"
    Everyone went back to work at his command. He walked over to me.
    "We still on for game night tonight?"
    "Hell ya!" I responded.
    "It's at your place this time, right?"
    "Yes."
    "Okay. See you then." He said walking away.
    "Hey, Jeremy!"
    "Yeah?" He said turning around.
    "Would it be okay if I invited someone tonight? His name's Chris, he just moved here, so."
     "I don't mind. It's your loft." He said laughing walking away.
    I smiled and walked into my office/operation room. When I sat down, I felt a wave of heat rush down my body. What did it just do? I just met the guy yesterday and I was already inviting him to game night? But then again, I do feel different when I'm around him. I feel happy, like we are the only two in the world that matter. I guess it could be fun. The hard part is gonna be telling Chyler not to make those kissing faces she always makes.
    I was quickly awoken by doctors coming in and setting up the emergency table.
    "What happened?" I asked.
    "A man called. His dog got hit by a car and won't wake up, but he says he can still feel a heartbeat. He's on his way." A doctor responded.

Chris

    Melissa left the park in a hurry. Drift whined a bit when Melissa and his new play buddy left.
    After an hour or so of playing ball, I started walking Drift home. Walking on the streets, I thought I saw Melissa, but when she turned around, I saw that it wasn't Melissa. Clearly Drift saw her and thought it was Melissa too, because again, he took off.
    Drift was smart when there was a treat involved, but in other situations, he wasn't so smart. Drift crossed the street and out of nowhere, a car whipped around the corner and hit him.
    "Drift!" I yelled running to him.
    The person driving the car got out and bent down beside him.
    "He's still breathing." He said. "I'm so sorry."
    "No no. It's okay. It's not your fault." I said bending down beside him.
    Drift wasn't moving or waking up. His front paw was bent in a really weird way and he was drenched in his blood. I took of my shirt and tried to stop the bleeding. Someone brought over a blanket and I wrapped Drift in it. I felt like crying. But I also felt like Drift would want me to be strong.
    Like I said, Drift was not that smart, but when it came to emotions, he was the one that would crawl on you or try to roll over to make you laugh.
    I got out my phone and called the nearest vet that was one block away.
    The man offered to drive me to the vet. We got in and in less than five minutes we where there.
    He offered to pay for everything too, he must've felt really bad. I told him it was okay. He gave me his number so I could call him to tell him is Drift was okay. If I had just hit someone's dog, I wouldn't have been able to sleep without knowing if the dog was okay or not. So I told him I would.
    I was cradling Drift. When we got out of the car, there were four doctors waiting at the door. They took him from me and walked into a room that was held open by another doctor.
    I was covered in his blood. I had just remembered I didn't have a shirt on. But I didn't really care. I loved him so much. I wasn't ready to let him go. Not even close.

Melissa

I held open the door to the operation room.
    Four doctors brought in a big black dog who was drenched in blood, it almost looked like Drift. He was wrapped in a blanket and someone's t-shirt, it looked exactly like the shirt Chris was wearing this morning.
    "Oh no." I whispered.
    I looked out by the door, and there was Chris.
    He was covered in Drift's blood. He had no shirt on, but there was still blood on his skin. He had his hands in fists. I could tell he was trying not to cry.
    I looked back in the room at Dr. Jordan who had already started. I held a finger up to let him know that I was going to sit this one out. He nodded.
    I grabbed a towel from the shelf and walked over to Chris.
    "Melissa?" He asked as a tear ran down his face.
    "Hey, hey it's okay." I said wrapping the towel around him. I guided him over to the waiting couch and we both sat down.
    "I saw someone who looked like you.....walking on the streets." He said no longer trying to hold back any tears.
    "It's okay Chris. You don't have to talk." I said in a calming voice.
    "Drift saw her too and thought she was you.....and then he ran across the street....."
    "It's okay. He's gonna be okay." I said as he laid his head on my shoulder.
    "Melissa?" He asked looking up.
    "Yeah?"
    "Can you go help him. I need him to be okay. I trust you with him. Please?"
    I whipped a tear from his face. "Of course. He'll be okay. I promise."
    He smiled and I walked back into the room. I bent down so I was face to face with Drift.
    "Hey Drift, it's Melissa. You're gonna be okay. I promise." I kissed his head then started to help.

—————————————————————————
Authors Note: Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Comment what you think/hope will happen next and I might use one of your ideas. Next chapter will be soon!
-MJ