He's My Favourite

Melissa

I can't do this. I don't want to do this. I'm not ready for a kid yet. I can hardly take care of myself. What am I gonna do?
    "Oh my god." Chris said smiling ear to ear. "You're not messing with me right? 'Cause April Fools is four months away."
    I felt a tear fall down my cheek. "I'm not." I whispered.
    Chris's smile immediately faded. "Hey, Melissa. Melissa?" He lifted my chin with his fingers. "Melissa, honey what's wrong?"
    I looked away. I can't tell Chris I don't want a kid right now. Because if I tell him, he'll think I won't want to have kids at all, and then when we have this one he'll think I won't want to keep it. And I do, want to keep it, right? I'm going to keep it.
    "Melissa. Talk to me. It's okay." He sighed. "Do you not want to have a baby?"
    "Yes!....no? I don't know!" I said getting a little frustrated burying my face in my hands.
    "Hey, it's okay. You can tell me, it's not gonna change anything."
   I looked up at him with tears streaming down my face. "Really? You're not gonna leave me?"
    "Are you serious? Mel, I would never ever leave you, especially with a baby, my baby. Please, please, please don't ever think that I'm going to leave you. I love you."
I smiled. Maybe this won't be so bad. "I love you too."
    He leaned in and wrapped his arms around me and pulled me close. We just sat there for a while, swaying side to side with him stroking my hair.
    "It is mine right?" He asked.
    I laughed.
    "What? I'm serious." He said as he started to laugh too.

Chris

    "How on Earth do you take care of a baby?! Is there some sort of class you're supposed to take? A book you're supposed to read?" I asked Jeremy pacing his living room.
    "Yes, there are classes you can take and books you can read." He said taking another shot of rum. I'm probably stressing him out. I've been talking about this for the last two hours.
    "And it's worth it."
    "Yes."
    "It'll be fun."
    "Yep." He said sighing.
    "And it's gonna be easy."
    "Absolutely not."
    I stopped pacing and turned to Jeremy who was unaware of what he said. "What?!" I practically shouted at him.
    "What?"
    "You can't say that!"
    "Say what?"
    "That it's not gonna be easy."
    "It's not. I'm just saying the truth."
    "I don't want the truth! Come on man. I don't have the first clue on how to do this."
    "I know, I'm sorry. But, I'm not gonna lie to you if it's not going to do you any good. If you're going to be having a baby with Melissa, you're gonna need to be prepared." He said as I sat down on the couch beside him.
    "Oh my god."
    "What? What's wrong?"
    "I'm having a baby."
    "You're just realizing this?"
    I ignored him. "I'm, having, a baby."
    He rolled his eyes.
    I laughed a little. "I'm having a baby with Melissa!" I turned to Jeremy and grabbed his shoulders. "Jeremy! I'm gonna be a dad! I'm having a baby with Melissa! Melissa!" I shouted getting up and doing a little happy dance.

Melissa

    "Good morning people! Mamma's in the house!" My mom said laughing as she came in my loft with a small suitcase on the floor and her arms wide open.
    "Hey mom." I said. She was wearing one of her nice "dress to impress" outfits. Meanwhile I was wearing an old pink t-shirt that I had used for painting once, a pair of grey sweatpants and to tie it all together, my hair was not washed (it desperately needed to be) and I had tied it up in a messy bun.
    I walked over and hugged her with one arm and held my tea in my hand with my other arm.
    "What's wrong with you? Did you forget I was coming up?" She said smiling.
    I yawned. "Yeah, sorry I did."
    "Oh that's okay darlin'." She said as she waved me off. "Now where's that handsome young man?"
    I didn't answer.
    "Honey. You're staring off into space again."
    "Hm? Oh, sorry. Um, I think he's out with Jeremy right now."
     "Bummer. I like him."
    I turned around on the couch so I was now facing her. "You do?" I asked hopefully.
   "Of course I do. Have you seen him?" She asked laughing a bit to herself.
    "Gross." I muttered. "No but like, other than his looks mom. Do you really like him?"
    "Yes, of course I do. Don't tell anybody, but I like him better than your sisters hubby."
    I smiled.
    Her smile faded.
    She walked over and sat beside me on the couch and pulled me into one her her warm hugs that reminded me of when I was little.
    "Baby, what's wrong?"
    "Nothing." I said even though I was starting to cry.
    "Shhhh." She said rubbing my back while hugging me.
    I stoped crying. I felt sick. Not from crying, but I felt sick sick.
    I pulled out of my mothers hug and ran to the bathroom and made it just in time. It wasn't even ten seconds until my mom was in the bathroom with me holding my hair back and rubbing my back as I got sick.
    After I got cleaned up, she poured me a glass of orange juice to drink then sat across from me at the table and was just watching me.
    "What?" I asked taking another sip.
    "Melissa,"
    I put my glass down.
     "I didn't want you to be disappointed in me." I quickly corrected myself. "I don't. Want you to be disappointed in me."
    She frowned. "Melissa Benoist. Why on Earth would I be disappointed that you're pregnant?"
    "Because I'm not married! Because I haven't even been dating Chris for a year!" I yelled crying some more.
She sighed. "These things are true. But that doesn't mean I'm going to be disappointed in you. You're old enough to make your own decisions."
"But I didn't chose this, Mom! Okay? I didn't chose to have a baby! I didn't want one right now!"
She sighed, then the door closed. I looked up, and started to cry even more.

Chris

"But I didn't chose this, Mom! Okay? I didn't chose to have a baby! I didn't want one right now!" Melissa yelled at her mother as I walked in the door. I closed it and she looked up at me, her face covered in her tears. I wanted to be angry with her. I wanted to be angry that she didn't want to have a family with me and that she didn't want this baby.
    Then I stopped.
Melissa has always talked about having a family and having kids and growing old together. I just don't think she wanted it to happen this way and this soon. And if I'm being honest, I didn't want it to happen this way or this soon either. Even though I've excepted the fact that we're having a baby, I'm obviously not the one who had to walk around pregnant for nine months. I can't be angry with her.
She looked up at me, and I could feel her sadness, not anger. Just sadness. She started crying even more. "Chris, I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." She buried her face in her hands. "I'm sorry." She kept repeating. "I'm so sorry."
I felt everything inside of me break. Seeing her this vulnerable and upset. Seeing the woman I love crying this much because she was scared she had hurt me.
"Melissa." I said
"I'm sorry." She kept saying.
"Hey, hey." I walked over and crouched down beside her chair and pulled her hands away from her face and held them with my own.
She looked down at me. I reached up and started wiping her tears away even though they kept coming.
"Mel, you don't need to be sorry. It's okay to be scared about having a baby. I'm not angry with you because you don't want to have a baby right now."
"I just didn't want you to think I never wanted to have a baby." She said trying to wipe her own tears now. "Because I do. I'm just, I'm not ready to be a mom."
"That's okay. If you're not ready," I took a deep breath. "we don't have to do this."
She stopped crying. "What? No, I want to have it. I just, I don't want to do this alone, and I'm scared."
"I know, I am too. And Melissa, my love, please, don't think you're in this alone. I'm going to be here with you this whole time. I'm sorry, but you're stuck with me, and it's gonna take more than a little baby to scare me off."
She laughed, and I smiled.
She reached down and wrapped her arms around me. "I love you." She whispered in my ear.
"I love you too."
"Yep! He's my favourite." Mrs. Benoist said getting up from the table.