That Would Be Impossible

Melissa

Chris was in the hospital for a month before he was allowed to go home. The doctor said he was around 80% recovered and that he still needed to take it easy. Jeremy came over to help me get Chris back to his apartment.
    When I opened his door with my key, I told Jeremy to hold Drift back because he'd go crazy when he saw Chris. I helped Chris over to the couch and we both sat down and I laid my head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arm around my waist.
    Jeremy, who was in another room called out, "three, two, one!"
    Drift came running out and immediately saw Chris and started licking him like it was his last time he'd  lick him. His tail was going crazy. Farley, who I left at Chris's apartment was here too and she came over to join Drift in giving Chris doggie kisses.
Chris laughed as he scratched both Drift and Farley behind the ears.
"Hey Melissa?" Jeremey asked coming back into the room.
"Yeah?" I replied.
"Can I talk to you for a sec?"
"Sure." I leaned over and kissed Chris and got up and met Jeremy in the hallway. "What's up?"
"The shooter was Blake." He said without warning.
"What?"
"The police arrested him yesterday and called you to tell you but you left your phone at my place so I answered for you, y'know, 'cause it said POLICE on it. Anyway, they said that Blake was the shooter."
I didn't say anything. I wasn't even looking him the eyes. I stared down the hall at the wall.
"Melissa? Are you okay."
I still didn't say anything. Of course I wasn't okay. My ex-husband who abused me  just shot the man I love. How am I supposed to be okay?
"Yeah, yeah I'm okay."
Jeremy wasn't convinced but he let it slide. "Okay, well I have to get home. I'll leave you too alone. Do you need anything else?"
"No, thank you for everything Jeremy."
"No problem. Take care." He said starting to walk down the hall.
"You too."

Chris

Melissa walked back in with a different face on. She was so happy when we came home, but after she and Jeremy talked, she looked more sad, upset, maybe even angry.
"Hey Mel, are you okay?"
    She didn't respond. She sat down on the couch beside me but wouldn't look at me. I turned towards her and moved her hair behind her shoulder so I could see her face. A tear ran down her cheek and I wiped it off with my thumb.
    "Blake did this."
    "Did what?" I asked.
    She turned towards me with more tears coming down. She looked at me which caused more tears to fall. "This." She said gesturing to the bandage on my chest.
I didn't know what to say. I wanted to comfort her, but I didn't know how to at the moment. What was I supposed to say? "It's okay. I forgive your ex-husband for shooting me in the chest almost killing me because he obviously still loves you."? I sighed and I pulled her on top of me and she pulled the blanket over us and no one said anything else the rest of the night.

Melissa

    I woke up to the smell of pancakes. I slowly opened my eyes to see Chris walking over with a plate of pancakes covered in syrup, chocolate chips, whipped cream and strawberries. I think I looked at the food with more love than Chris. But that would be impossible.