Canteens and Cupcakes

Jungwoo stuffed his maths book into his Snoopy backpack tiredly. Maths was boring and nothing made sense to him. What good was algebra and shit in the real world anyway?

He looked at his phone distractedly. 

Bae: I'm rlly sorry Jungwoo I can't believe I forgot about the dinner

Bae: and I rlly don't remember drinking that much

Bae: pls forgive me

Bae: I'll make it up to u 2night 

I'll make it up to you tonight. That meant he cared, right? It meant he felt bad about the mess last night. He was going to make it up to him. But still, an unsettling feeling thrummed in Jungwoo's stomach. Something felt off.

Another text distracted his thoughts. It was from Doyoung.

Doyoungie: meet me in the canteen?

Doyoungie: I bought u the strawberry cupcake that u like :3

Jungwoo sighed. Even after he'd been so cruel to his bestfriend yesterday, Doyoung was still the kind, caring hyung, buying him cupcakes and sending him cute Emojis. Jungwoo didn't deserve him.

~~~

Jungwoo barely gave Doyoung time to look up before he burst into an apology.

"Doyoung I'm so sorry for how I acted last night. I know that you were just thinking about me and I know  that you have my best interests at heart, but whenever somebody talks about Taeho like that, I just close up and get really defensive."

     "And I-I guess it's because I kind've know that what your saying is a little true. And that just throws me off. But I could never think about leaving Taeho - I love him, I love him so much, even if he is a dick sometimes."

    "And he might forget about our Valentine's day plans, and he might come home drunk, and he might make me confused and angry and upset, but I know that you never will. What I'm trying to say is I know that if Taeho messes up, you'll be there for me. Taeho and I have been together for three years, but we've been together for so much longer."

     "I love you, hyung!" Jungwoo wrapped his arms around Doyoung's neck, hiding his face in the older boy's neck to prevent himself from crying.

"Ooh confession time!" Johnny Seo yelled from a few tables over. Doyoung glared at him.

"I love you too, Jungwoo. Now eat your cupcake, it's getting squashed,"

Jungwoo looked down sheepishly at the squashed cupcake between them. No matter, it would still taste good. He took a bite of the frosted mess as he sat down. 

Seeing Doyoung's face, he knew he had questions about last night but was holding them back to spare Jungwoo's feelings. Jungwoo decided to ease his friend's pain.

"Go on. Ask your questions, you look like you're constipated."

"Oh thank God," Doyoung sighed in relief "So Taeho didn't show up then?"

Jungwoo shook his head, not meeting Doyoung's eyes.

"And...he was drunk?"

"Yeah. And he smelt of p-perfume. But he works with loads of female colleagues, it's not that unusual," Jungwoo told Doyoung, purposefully leaving out the red 'paint'  he'd seen on Taeho's cheek.

Doyoung raised his eyebrow sceptically "Wow that sounds..."

"Really shitty?" Jungwoo finished his sentence "But he apologised. He said he's really sorry and he's going to make it up to me tonight," Jungwoo grinned.