24

I'm getting ready to go out for the night when there's a knock on the front door. "Elena!" I call out. But I hear no response. I get ready to call for Jeremy but then the sad thought hits me. I rush downstairs with my wet feet padding against the hardwood floor and only a towel separating me from being completely naked. When I see Damon and Stefan at my front door, my heart drops to my stomach. I gulp before opening the door.

"Took long enough," Damon says, pushing past me. 

I roll my eyes and accidentally make eye contact with Stefan. 

"Is this a bad time?" He asks. I shake my head and move out the doorway so he can enter. He gives me a small smile and I just look down at my toes, ashamed of what happened between us the other night.

"So what exactly are you here for?" I question with an eyebrow raised as I see Damon rummaging through the alcohol. He finally decides on my expensive white wine, pouring himself and himself only a wine glass. 

"You'll have to wait and see, my friend. Where's Elena and Ric?" Damon answers. 

"I don't know". 

He makes a mocking face. 

"Wow, great parenting skills, I can't wait for your baby to come. Let's see how fast it'll end up in the middle of the road". 

"Damon you're the oldest one here and you're acting the most childish" Stefan buds in.

 Damon shrugs and sips his glass of wine. 

"You're supposed to be on my side. Remember? I'm your bro she's the - do I have to finish my sentence?". 

I send a glare Damon's way, as does Stefan. 

"Get out!" I shout. Damon raises an eyebrow at me. 

"I said get out".

 Damon puts his glass down and walks over to me. He gets in my face. 

"What are you going to do if I don't?".

Once his breath hits my nose, I stop arguing with him. I smell all the different types of alcohol clinging to the air coming out of his mouth. The front door opens and I hear Elena's footsteps. Then, she's in between Damon and I. 

"What the hell is wrong with you Damon?" She yells. 

Damon shakes his head and grabs his wine glass again, refilling. 

"You okay?" She mouths to me. I nod. She then turns to Stefan. "Why didn't you stop him?".

Stefan goes to say something, but I intervene. 

"Damon and Stefan came here to tell us something". 

Elena frowns but takes a seat on the couch, looking exhausted. I take a seat right next to her. Damon stumbles over and stands in front of us. Stefan stands more to the side, looking uncomfortable. It only makes sense after what happened between us two the other night.

"That coffin that we couldn't get open, you remember that?" Damon asks Elena. She nods.

 "Yeah, well Klaus' magical coffins just needed some Bennett witches and poof, it wasn't so secret anymore. We know who's in that coffin". 

I raise an eyebrow, trying to avoid all eye contact with Stefan. 

"Damon just tell me," Elena says impatiently.

Damon takes another sip of his wine, so Stefan gets annoyed and comes out with it. "Esther Mikaelson". Damon drunkenly pouts. "That was my job," he says with a sad face. Stefan rolls his eyes.

The doorbell suddenly rings and both Elena and I jump. She seems nervous like she was expecting someone to come after her. 

"I'll get it," Damon says. It's crazy how he went from a crazy mean drunk to a happy drunk all because of the presence of my sister. 

He comes back with two letters in his hand. They are both sealed shut with a fancy symbol. Stefan twists his head and looks at it then snaps his finger.

"I know where this is from". 

He hands me the one addressed to me and the other one addressed to Elena. 

"It's the Mikaelson seal. They're up to something".

I raise an eyebrow. I unseal my letter and look at the fancy font. 

"It's an invitation to a house party. It's a strict black tie event". 

I sigh. 

"What are we going to? The Mystic Falls pageant ?". 

I let out a long breath. Elena laughs. 

"You always used to make fun of all the Miss Mystic Falls winners". I laugh at the memory. 

"Well, I definitely can't fit into a tight dress at this moment. Ball gown for me".

I groan and slap the invitation on the coffee table. I look to see Damon dozing off as he is standing up. Stefan takes notice of this as well and walks over to his brother. He makes Damon sling his arm over his own shoulder and Stefan puts his other hand to support Damon's back. 

"I'm going to take the day drinker home. Have a good night".

I get up and I think Elena finally notices what I'm wearing. 

"Where you in the middle of a shower, where are all your clothes?" She half-jokes. I smirk.

 "Actually yeah, I was going to go visit mom and dad and Jenna but I don't think I'm going to anymore. I'd rather go look for this stupid dress on a time crunch". 

She raises a knowing eyebrow at me. 

"Well perfect because I also have to get one so let's go". 

I look at myself again, reminding her of what I'm wearing. She laughs her raspy laugh and points toward the stairs. 

"Just throw anything on and let's go". 

I laugh but run up the stairs, making sure not to trip and fall.

Once I reach my room, I throw on a random bra, underwear, sweats and a big hoodie with my old Nike sneakers that I've had since I was 20. I grab my bag that always has my keys in clutch just in case I need to run out the house, which is on the reg for me since I have a Doppelgänger sister that everyone likes to use. Seems like she's the answer to everyone's problems, dead or alive.

We jump into the car and I start to drive off, finding my way into the town where all of the shops are. 

"Aw. Do you remember when we bought your middle school prom dress here?" Elena says. I roll my eyes. 

"Let's never talk about that again. That hot pink dress was the biggest mistake of my life". 

Elena and I laugh and get out of the car. We walk into the first boutique filled with ball gowns.

Elena sees one and immediately gets drawn to it. I keep looking until my eyes land on something. I see Stefan across the street in another boutique looking at dresses. I frown, but then my heart drops to my stomach. He has to be going with Elena if he's looking for a dress. Maybe he's going to surprise her. I get sad , but then I remember the reality of it. I might've known Stefan in California, but there was obviously nothing between us. Elena had him before I did and she loves him. I just have to except that and move onto the next best thing. Plus, he would never want to be with a girl who is having a baby that isn't his. Who would? I mean, I don't even know who the father is.

"I think I found something". 

I turn around to see Le holding a beautiful black dress that would look so great on her body. 

"Did you try it on?". She nods her head. 

We walk toward the cashier and she rings it up, putting it on a hanger and in a zip bag. I pay for it and we head back outward to the car. I look across the street again to see that Stefan is gone. I sigh and close my car door. Driving off and thinking about how lonely I am.