Chapter 5

"Caleb Wood?" My shocked expression makes him take a step back

"Julia Allen is that really you?" The brown haired guy asks. "Julia I'm so sorry." He says, looking at my coffee stained complexion.

"It's fine, Caleb! I'm just late for work, have five papers due, covered in coffee now, and have to chose a stupid flower arrangement on. My. Own!"I yell. My stress and anger completely busts out. It's literally like I'm throwing up on him with words.

"Wow. Okay, first of all, where do you work? Second, I can explain about the papers. And I'm sorry about the coffee. And flower arrangement for what? By the way, I am also late for work."

"Wait what? You work here now?"

"Yeah, I'm an author for Brooklyn Magazine."

My heart stops. This is all happening way too fast.

"I'm an editor for Brooklyn Magazine." I explain.

"Oh."

"So you can now get there and explain why we are both late, and why I'm covered in coffee!" I say in a fake, joyful way. Then, I grab his arm and move towards the building. I swing the door open and march up to the front desk.

My boss, Mrs.Kowalski walks up to me and asks, "why are you late, Miss. Allen? And where are the five papers? And, please tell me why you look like you've been dumpster diving?" I take a long, hard look at Caleb. Wow. It's been a while since I heard that name.

Caleb sticks out his hand. "Hello, I'm Caleb Wood, a new author here. First of all, I'd like to say I'm sorry. I bumped into J- Miss. Allen on the way here and spilled coffee all over her. Which makes both of us late with those papers. I am truly and deeply sorry. Please don't fire me." Wow. That was very sincere and a very good explanation.

"Well Mr.Wood, I like you very much. Thank you for the explanation and I can't wait to have you on our team here at Brooklyn Magazine. As for you, Miss. Allen, go home or get some clothes. Just turn the papers in tomorrow or later today."

"Thank you very much!"

As soon as she's gone, I glare at Caleb. "I need to change, now." Now Caleb looked scared, he knew this look very well. To put it simply, I'm pissed off. Right on cue, Kaylin waltzes up with a coffee mug in her hand.

"Oh don't get too close to Julia, she's had enough coffee for one day!" Caleb chuckled as he said what was running through my mind.

"Wow. What happened to you?"

"I did." He replied simply, trying to keep me sane.

"Come with me, sweetie." She says in an apologetic tone. She takes me over to the ladies room and starts to question me. "I have a few things that need to be answered. One, where are your clothes? Two, who's the hunk and how does he know you? And three, did you not just get fired for being late?"

I laughed shortly. "My clothes are at my house! And Caleb explained so she forgave me because of him, basically."

"Caleb?" She asked.

"Yes. His name is Caleb Wood. He... he and I were best friends in college. He works here now as a author."

"Huh. Are you sure there isn't anything more?" She questioned.

"Nope. T-that's it." That was not it. Okay, so I didn't tell you my complete story, but it wasn't needed at the time! Caleb and I were best friends in college. He and I immediately clicked. He'd make sure we had fun, and I made sure we passed our classes. Caleb grew up near me in Massachusetts, just not the same town. But he knew a lot about my town so we got to know each other. I went to school for the media and magazine like the job I have now, and he wanted to be a famous author. He always told me about how people would come from a block away to read his stories. He would publish his books and send them out to book stores everywhere. We shared our dreams and hopes. I've always wanted to live in the city, and he just wanted to travel. We were quite the pair.

One day, he got a girlfriend. It was then when I realized that my feelings grew into something more than friends. So I distanced myself from him and obviously he got mad. Soon after I told him my feelings. He broke up with his girlfriend and I assumed we were going to be together. That he was leaving her because he realized he loved me. But no, it turns out after college he was moving away to California. I was going to go to NYC and I thought he would come with me. Everything ended in a big fight. I felt really bad and it took me a while to forget about him. But lately, everything has been turned upside down. I guess it was like he never really left... hey, I don't know how he felt or feels now, but that's not my business.

And I'm with Steven.

Right. Steven...

"Having a little lady chat, are we?" Caleb says through the door.

Caleb. Caleb Wood.

I smile.