Chapter 9

I slowly walk into the apartment I ran from last night

I slowly walk into the apartment I ran from last night. The smell is somehow not as clean as it usually is. I don't know what the smell was, but it wasn't comfortable. However, everything was spotless. It's quiet. Is Steven not home? Is he still drunk? I decide to call him. Unfortunately, he doesn't respond. His secretary does.

"Hello, Upgrade To Now, how may I help you?" A winy and unenthusiastic voice says through the phone.

"I need to speak with my fiancé, Steven."

"Ma'am, Mr.Harris is very busy at the moment."

"You don't understand." I argue. "I need to speak with my significant other! Now."

"He's not taking any calls." This women's voice could not get any more annoying than it is now. I'm literally calling to talk to my fiancé who I never see, and I can't even reach him. Not even after he tried to have sex with me and when he was drunk. Again, I have no idea why. Then again, I have no  idea why I'm talking to this annoying women. I deserve better.

Not long after our conversation, I am walking towards a huge building on the street. I swing open the doors and march up to a security guard.

"Miss-"

"I want, no- need! I need to see my fiancé, Steven Harris! Now." The security guard looks as though his eyes might pop out of his head. He moves aside and lets me use the elevator.

"Top floor." He speaks, quietly. I think he's afraid of me, poor thing. If this is what I had to do just to see my fiancé, I would've liked to know a lot sooner.

The elevator opens with a ding. I am now on the top floor. I walk out and see a person sitting towards the window with light brown hair.

"Steven."

He turns around in his chair to see me. He sits up straighter.

"I called you."

"I know-"

"Why didn't you answer?! I try to call you almost everyday!" I shout. God, it's like he can't do anything himself.

"Well I didn't think you wanted to talk to me today."

I laugh. "Honey, I got a whole lot I wanna talk about with you!"

"I-I'm sorry. I really am. But I have a lot of work to do and I'd appreciate it if you'd wait till I got home."

"I am not your goddamn secretary!" I yell at him, trying to prove a point. I will not walk out. "By the way, I've met your secretary. I hate her. She's the rudest person I've ever met. Also, it would be nice if you gave me a call to, I don't know, see if I was okay! Since I ran out of the apartment- with my shirt half unbuttoned, I noticed that this morning!"

"Where were you this m-"

"I'm not finished!" I shout, putting my hand up to stop him. I wait a second for silence before continuing. "You didn't call because you were drunk. That's right, I could smell the alcohol on your breath!" I sigh. "What happened?" He sits there in silence, figuring out his answer. "You know what? I'm wondering why you would even pressure me like that? Ever since this promotion, you've had no time for me. It's not just that, but you don't want to make time for me. We are supposed to be planning a wedding together!" At this point, I'm grasping for air.

"Just here me out. I was drunk. I also came home early because I made this huge sale, everything is through the roof! So we had a little office party and I got a little drunk. I'm sorry I made you feel uncomfortable. I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

I stare him in the eyes. He's telling the truth.

"I don't want to loose you. But I also have to maintain a good job for you. So we can be happily married." He explains.

"I don't care about how much money we have. I just want to live a happy life. I have a job too, and I have more money than I need. Especially with you."

"Well you don't understand, Julia. You never have. I grew up wanting more, and I'm going to get that far in life. I want more than my parents and want to grow successfully."

"Wait I'm confused. You want more? I'm getting married to you, you are a manager of a huge company, you had a great, wealthy, childhood, and now we live in a big, wealthy apartment, and you want more?"

"It's just something you have to deal with, I guess." He shrugs it off.

Suddenly it clicked. "That's why you wanted to have sex with me!"

He stutters, trying to say something.

I wave my arms. "No, no, no, no, no! I am not a tool, I'm not a secretary, I'm not little miss perfect, and I'm not a crazy rich women! But, I am a hardworking, loving, kind, loyal, strong, flexible, and understanding person. Which wife would you choose?" He stays silent. "Figure that out." And without another word, I storm out to the elevator, click the button, and wave sarcastically as the metal doors close.