Chapter 19

I feel arms around me as I've fallen into someone's arms

I feel arms around me as I've fallen into someone's arms. They had caught me, thank goodness.

"Are you alright?" The voice seems to have much care in it. I look up at the face.

"No. No I'm not."

What the hell was Caleb Wood doing here?!

"I'm sorry if I startled you, but it seemed like you needed me here to catch you." He chuckles a little, trying to be friendly.

"No, really, what are you doing here?" I ask seriously. I couldn't even say his name out loud. He shrugs as I wait for an answer.

"A friend said they needed help with this big, extravagant wedding so I came." He told me. Sadly, I believed him.

"well, thanks for catching me..."

"again. and you're welcome." That's right, again.

I slowly walk to a room down the hall, worried and again, confused. I think of how much my life had changed and I realize that all that is behind me now. All of those mistakes I had made were going to be wiped away when I married Steven. I wonder how Steven is doing. I walk into a small room with an old lady sitting in a chair next to a little table. There is a small platform for me to stand on, I guess. My wedding dress is hung over a rack. This lady has her glasses set upon her white hair on her head. She is busy with sewing at the moment.

Then she looks up at me and says, "oh hello. Are you the bride?"

I sigh and answer, "yup." She then proceeds to examine me, looking me up and down. She squints and smiles.

"Miss, you are very beautiful." She motions for me to sit down and I thank her while doing that. She starts to make harmless small talk as she gets my dress ready. "So are you excited?"

I let out a short laugh and answer,"I'm definitely ready for it."

"so, you are not excited? Just, ready?" She asks me.

"I-I'm just a bit overwhelmed right now, that's all." I try to explain.

"can I tell you something?" She says calmly. I nod. "When I was a girl I dreamed of my wedding. I wanted a big one with sparkles everywhere." She laughs to herself while she's laying out the dress. "I then met my husband Gary, and that all faded away. I suddenly wanted a small wedding with beautiful flowers everywhere. I knew that was the right choice because it was simple and sweet. I wasn't trying to put on a show for anyone. I just knew that I wanted this for us, and that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. When he died, I was distraught, because I wanted children but never could have any." She pauses.

"oh I'm so sorry." I say quietly.

"I can say that if I could afford adoption, I would do that in a heartbeat. However, losing Gary was the most heartbreaking thing I've had to deal with in my entire life. Now, if you are not excited for your own wedding, I would have to say that I am worried for you. Walking down the aisle should be like seeing him for the first time again." I wait for the woman to speak again. But she looks me dead in the eyes.

"Look at all the joy around you, child. Remember this amazing day because no matter what happens after, you'll always remember this day."

Learning about this women's story opened my eyes. How am I supposed to react to this if I am still unsure about so many things? I'm hoping and praying that my mother is taking care of things, because right now I'm in a quiet room with a sweet, quirky old lady. And I'm liking it very much, actually.

The old woman gets me into my wedding dress with care. She zips me up and straightens out the bottom. It seems as though everything about this woman was delicate and undisturbed; like she was in her own little perfect bubble and nothing bothered her. This woman also gets my hair ready, pulling my thick, brown locks to one side and curling them. I set a simple gold necklace on my neck. I look in the mirror and gaze at my stunning reflection. Is that me? I suppose it is.

The woman faces me to her, touches my shoulders with her fragile hands and asks, "are you ready to get married?"

"Yes."

———————————-

(Julia's wedding dress)