Chapter 13

As the days went by, we got closer and closer to the wedding

As the days went by, we got closer and closer to the wedding. It really was unreal. I just went about my days, hung out at work with Kaylin and Caleb, then went home alone while Steven came later, and then woke up to do some wedding stuff, finally, repeating the process.

I walked into the office and laid my work on my desk. Kaylin comes waltzing in sipping her coffee. she's smirking at me oddly.

"What?"

"So Caleb is still single." She said quietly.

"Uh, yeah." She nods slowly. "Okay, what's your deal here, Kaylin?" I ask her.

She rolls her eyes. "Something is going on between you two! I know it!"

I try and make myself smaller but it doesn't work. "N-nothing is going on."

"Spill the tea."

I sigh. "Okay, we've been spending a lot of time together. But ever since he came to the city, I've been changing I think."

"Example?"

"Well, Steven did something rude and a violation of my privacy, and you were away at the wedding so the only person I could call was Caleb. He took me to his place a-"

"No! You two did not do it! You can't be cheating on Steven!" She interrupted me.

"No! Nothing happened. He took care of me when I was scared and he made me a nice breakfast.... he also let me borrow some clothes.... and I saw him shirtless." I said the last part very quickly. But she picked up on it.

"Whoa whoa whoa! You didn't have sex with him but you saw him shirtless?" I nod with my head down. I don't really want to talk about this right now. "What was he like?" She whispers this, intrigued.

"Uh... he w-was handsome as ever. Uh, he has little muscles you can make out in the light. Little abs too. He features were just... captivating I guess." As I speak I remember just how perfect he looked. Suddenly I forgot about everything, except for him. Only him. Only me. Only us.

"Wow!" I jump from my trance. "He's good looking huh? You don't have to answer that, I know he's good looking!"

I stay silent.

"So that's it? Because I can see you're like a different person when you're around him. You just... light up like a lightbulb!" I laugh. Wait. He's not the one! Steven is the one! The wedding has to be perfect!

"But I'm marrying Steven so it's nothing more than friendship."

She sighed and looked at me with sad eyes. "Julia, I like both of them. And I know you're engaged to Steven who's wonderful. But, can I just ask one question? What does Steven have that Caleb doesn't?" That sure made me think.

"Steven.... he has a good job, he's the manager!"

"Yeah, but Caleb now has a steady job here." She pointed out. I struggled to find words. "Julia, I'm your friend. I want to be honest with you. Do you even love Steven?" That's it.

"Kaylin! Will you please stop talking about this! This isn't fair!"

"I don't think you're being fair to yourself!" She argued with me.

I snapped. "That's it! I'm leaving! Some friend you are, telling me who I love and don't love, who to marry, when you weren't even here half the time! That's right! You were busy! I ask you to come to my appointment and you totally blew me off when you were the only one who could go, but when I ask you to go with me and Steven to dinner it's always: 'oh I'll go! I looove a fancy dinner that's way too expensive'!" My chest heaves from all that. After I said it I immediately felt bad. Some friend, some friend? I'm some friend who just blew up in front of her! Great Julia, what are you supposed to do now?

After a long, silent pause, she says quietly, "well it's obvious you've had a lot of pressure on you lately and you need some space... I'll go now." She gets up from her chair and puts her papers in order. Then she leaves. But she doesn't cry, she's too strong for that. Me on the other hand, I cried silently at my desk, trying not to make a scene. But I think I already did that, unfortunately.