9

Dan swallowed hard, pacing around in his old bedroom that he hadn't seen in over a year. He had been thrown up here and locked in without his parents saying a word. The small cross hanging over his bed almost felt like it was mocking him. The little angel statue even seemed like it was snicking at him. Dan remembered crying in this very room, starting between those two items wondering if god was even real. His parents had shamed LGBT+ People for their entire lives, and when Dan had started noticing his interest for boys, he felt like a failure and prayed harder and harder every night, ignoring his curiosity.

Sadly, you can't pray away the gay.

Now he had lost interest in god, instead favoring a certain black haired boy with tattoos and piercings that made his heart skip.

Phil.

Dan's heart was aching for the guy who he really hadn't known that long, but Dan still missed him. They had just started dating for Christ's sake, and their first date ever was completely ruined. Dan would still be crying if he wasn't very dehydrated, and he didn't dare try and ask for a glass of water. He doubted that he could even open the door, because it sounded like it had been locked from the outside.

After what felt like forever, he felt a small vibration in his pocket and his eyes grew wide. He still had his phone in his pocket! He nearly tore his back pocket off trying to get his phone. It was a text from Phil.

Phil: Hey bug, are you alright? I'm really worried about you. I hope they didn't take your phone. I was almost too scared to text you.

Dan's thumbs flew over the keyboard as he typed out a small message that said he was okay. Phil felt so relieved; he was on his bed in his shitty apartment worried sick about Dan. It had taken a while for him to gather the courage to actually send the text, because his mother had absolutely terrified him. Phil doesn't get scared easily either.

Phil: Baby I'm coming to get you. where is your parents house?

Dan: No don't, it's not safe. I'm okay Phil, just leave me.

Phil: Please, I'm worried about you. The look on your mothers face scared me. You need to get out of there.

Dan: I'll be okay.

Phil: :(

Dan knew that Phil was worried about him, but it just wouldn't be a good idea for Phil to come get him. Dan's parents payed for his apartment, and without them, he had nothing. So where would he go? They'd find him for sure and that terrified Dan. If they were upset now, he was too scared to imagine what they'd do if he snuck off with Phil. However, he wanted nothing more than to be with Phil. He had managed to make him feel safe, despite only starting off as an internet hookup.

As Dan pondered his thoughts, the lock on the door clicked, and his head shot straight up to see his mother in the doorway. She silently made her way over to his bedside and calmly sat down. Theirs nothing more frightening than an angry woman who masked it with absolute calm.

"Dan," Her tone was unreadable, which made Dan start to tremble. His mind flashed back to him on his knees in this very room, praying with her about a family cousin that had come out as Transgender to his parents. His mom had been so disgusted, and immediately started praying that that never happen with Dan. "I wanted to give you a chance. I could have misread the situation, and I want to make sure before we start any therapies. We're going to fix you if we need to, Daniel. You're just confused and that," Her eyes closed and her thin lips purses into a tight line as she thought back to Phil, "Fag only poisoned your thinking." She rubbed her temples with her long, pointed fingers, hoping her son tells her it wasn't what she thought.