Chapter 2 - Bad Pasts and Fragile Hearts

"Yes...", he said. "But I can't just leave her here, dad!"

His words were muffled then since I was sitting in the living room. It had been two weeks for Matt living in his dorm room and I came to visit him everyday. I could tell it was dad on the phone because my brother would go into a private area to talk most of the time. That is, whenever I was around at the age of fifteen. He started talking to Rick but I couldn't manage to hear anything as they were speaking softly.

After a while, Matt suddenly came out of the kitchen with Rick. "I'm sorry Mia. But you're gonna have to stay here for a few days", he sighed.

"What? Why?", I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Dad forgot our passports in the last hotel and I'm the wifi provider for them", he groaned.

"Are you serious?!", I ran a hand through my hair and asked "Why can't I come with you guys?"

"It's a long drive and we're taking Uncle Charlie's car. You know how cramped it is in there", he chuckled and took a seat beside me while Rick leaned against the wall, staring at me. "But Rick is going to be looking after you"

My mouth opened. I wanted to say something. Why didn't I? Because I didn't wanna argue with Matt. He was doijg everything he can to make me feel comfortable. If he had a choice, he would've stayed behind with me. I closed my mouth after meeting Rick's gaze and accepted it with a nod. I thought to myself "How hard can it be?" Boyyyy, I thought wrong.

"Rick. Could you give us a second please?", Matt looked behind at Rick. He nodded in response and went to his room. Matt held my hands and looked at me, worriedly. "Mia. Can you promise me one thing?"

"What...what is it?"

"Do not fall in love with Rick Pierce"

"What? Matt, why are you telling me this?", I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I've seen what he does to women. Please, sis. I don't want that to happen to you", he gripped my hands tighter.

"I'll...I'll do my best?", I joked around. He smiled and hugged me tightly, saying "That's my little sister! You can come back now, Rick!"

Rick walked out of his room and leaned against the wall again with a small smile on his face.

"I'll be back soon" Matt hugged me tightly then got off the couch and fist bumped with Rick. "Take care of my sister"

"I will. Now go", Rick smiled.

Matt hurried off to meet with our parents, leaving Rick and I alone. I slowly turned to Rick who looked like he has been staring at me since my brother left. We talked a good amount of time throughout the two weeks but to be honest, talking to Rick was pretty awkward at first. It all started off with my stomach grumbling. I quickly looked down in embarassment as he chuckled. "Come on. I'll make dinner", he said as he headed to the kitchen to cook. "Is spaghetti alright?"

I nodded to his question and looked around the living room to see a few pictures of Rick and Matt together. "Rick is a nice guy", I thought to myself. He had been doing nothing but caring about me ever since I met him.

Sitting down on a dining chair alone was boring. Seeing Rick that was cooking, made me feel helpless. So I stood up and walked over to the delicious smell of spaghetti meatballs. "Do you need any help?"

He turned his head to look at me and said "Thanks but I'm almost finished. You can get the drinks if you want"

I nodded to his response and opened the fridge next to me. "What would you like?"

"Anglia please", he poured the food onto two seperate plates and set it on the dining table.

"Got it.", I pulled out two cans of Anglia and placed it next to our plates then sat down together with him.