Chapter 9 - An unexpected betrayal

Rick stares at me in surprise. Then slowly changes his expression into a guilty one then lets out a soft sigh. "Mia..."

"No" I furrow my eyebrows at him. "Why..." I dare not look at the receipts, "Why haven't you told me? Heck!- why hasn't Matt told me about this?"

"It was a rough two years, Mia" he runs his hand through his hair.

"So was it for me!" I frown then look down at the pile of receipts that I had just pulled out from his wallet. The more of those receipts I look at, the more I feel heartbroken that he had kept this from me.

"Being in college, with you hating me, was driving me insane. I basically couldn't live without you" he slowly takes my hands in his. "Mia...I've never stopped loving you and I never ever will"

I lower my eyes at our hands intertwining. We just solved things from our recent fight. I don't want us to be arguing again anytime soon. He kisses my forehead and I give a small smile. "Just don't do it again...please" I say, giving his hands a small squeeze.

He nods and kisses my hands. "I'll never do it again, princess" he gives a faint smile, "I promise." I sigh in relief and pull him into a tight hug. He lets out a chuckle and calmly strokes my head.

Once we got home, we find Matt playing with his phone. "Hey guys" my brother says, keeping his eyes on the screen.

"I'll let you two talk" Rick whispers, giving my hand a small squeeze. He then lets go and heads up to my room.

I sigh then look back at Matt, still on his phone. "Matt. You wouldn't lie to me...right?" I ask. He hums a yes, still playing his game. "And you would tell me everything...right?" I raise an eyebrow. He hums another yes. "Even tell me that my boyfriend has been smoking for the last two years?" I cross my arms and glare at him.

His eyes widen and he freezes. He slowly looks up at me. He swallows hard then manages to say "Rick told you...now didn't he..."

"More like I had to find out myself" I retort, shaking my head in disbelief. My own damn brother hid this from me.

"Mia..." he frowns, placing his phone on the other chair beside him.

"I thought we have each other's backs, Matt" I sigh, giving him a look of disappointment and hurt.

"Sis, yes, I knew he was stressed and frustrated because of a girl. But no, I didn't know that girl was you" he stands up.

"And you didn't bother to let me know when you found out it was me?!" I snap.

"I wanted to tell you, Mia" So it came across his mind. But he didn't tell me at all. Ouch.

"So if I didn't find out, when were you planning on telling me? Never. Am I right?" I raise my eyebrows, expecting him to give a good explanation.

He opens his mouth. But then closes it. I scoff then turn to walk away. "Mia..." he softly calls out to me.

"Just leave me alone, Matt" I turn to him and frown. He lets out a miserable sigh and I turn back then walk up to my room.

●●●

"Maybe you should give Matt a second chance" Rick puts his hand on my shoulder.

"I don't know, Rick" I sigh, fiddling with my thumbs.

"But you forgave me" he places his hands on mine. I look over to him and say "Because Matt's my blood, Rick. We always have told each other everything"

"But Matt's your only brother, Mia. I know you've known him since you were alive and I know he's your blood but you should understand that he did it to protect you. And plus- I wouldn't want him to tell you, babe" my boyfriend explains.

"I don't know Rick...", I sigh and lean into him, "We've always had each other's back. We would always stay put through thick and thin."

"You should give him another chance. You can't avoid him forever Mia. He's your big brother. Like you had never hid secrets from him" Rick tells me.

"Because his own god damn sister is dating his damn roommate!", I rolled my eyes.

"Then why don't you two be honest with each other?" He suggests.

I smirk then ask "So you want me to tell him how you were the one that gave me the 'tennis ball bruise' and how about the 'mosquito' who had their hands on me under the table while the three of us were innocently eating a few days after you arrived into my home?"

"On second thought", he gives a nervous chuckle, "I don't wanna die so maybe my suggestion was a horrible idea"

"Yeah. That's what I thought" I cross my arms and pout.

"Just give it some time to think and clear the air" his hand is suddenly on my thigh. He then puts his lips close to my ear and whispers "Have I ever told you how beautiful you are?"

"Have I ever told you that you're flirting skills are super lame?" I giggle while tugging on the hem of his shirt.

"Is it working?" He wiggles his eyebrows as he moves closer to me.

I roll my eyes while smiling. "Unfortunately" My hands wrap around his neck and pull him closer. He tangles his fingers in my hair and brushes his lips against mine.

"Alright you two! Break it up!" I quickly pull away and find Lee standing at the doorway.

"Lee! What the hell?! How did you-?!"

"I met your mom outside so she let me in" he cuts me off.

"Jesus christ, Lee. Don't you ever learn how to knock?" I groan, rubbing my temples.

"I have but where's the fun in that?" A playful smirk comes across his lips.

"You're evil" I sigh.

"No, I'm an angel" my best friend winks at me then looks over to my boyfriend. "Ricky over here is the devil though"

"Hey," Rick says. Finally! Someone who understands that what Lee is saying, is ridiculous! I'm glad Rick has some sanity here. "That's wrong. I'm just sinfully sexy"

...I take it back. His ego is too big.

"Did you just call yourself sinfully sexy?" I turn behind to look at Rick.

"Always, love" he wiggles his eyebrows at me. "Your boyfriend is sex on legs." I smack my forehead with my palm.

'Sex on legs'? Somebody shoot me now.

"It's true. Your man should be arrested for being sexy" Lee chuckles.

"And you should be kicked out of my house for inflating his ego" I roll my eyes at Lee.

"Not my fault. I'm just being honest" he raises his hands up in surrender then walks out, shutting the door.

I sigh while Rick smiles at me. "Lee's a great guy"

"I know" I rest my head on his shoulder.

"Now where were we, love?" He gently lays me flat on the bed. He kisses my knuckles and plants a few longing kisses on my lips.

"Don't forget to use a condom!" I suddenly hear Lee yelling from the bottom of the stairs, making it echo all the way up to my room.

Holy shit. Can he get anymore embarassing?