Chapter 10

Shimmering beams of light.

Flickering.

Something was wrong.

"My Queen," came the raspy voice of my guard.

"Is it another?" I asked, not lifting the lids of my eyes.

"It..." the voice faded and I turned to him, letting him gaze on my pearly white skin, grotesque barnacles upon my silver hair. Still, my eyes did not open. 

"What is it that burdens your soul?" I insisted. "What news of the borders do you have to bring me?"

"My Queen... your forgiveness," the guard sobbed and I felt a beat of current. I recoiled away from him in disgust.

"Do not ask for it and you shall not need it," I hissed. "Spit it out."

"It's the Sirens," said a new voice. I nearly looked.

I bared my teeth. "What have they done?"

"They killed Roze," the first guard announced tearfully and I paused.

Obviously, the name was supposed to mean something to me. 

Roze...

"Your daughter," the second guard prompted and my eyelids flickered open. The first guard, pitifully moaning, recoiled at seeing my milky white and gold irises.

"My daughter," I said slowly, trying to remember.

I had many children but I was not bothered to know them. Only one was important and that was the heir. 

"Why have you bothered me with such trivial matters?" I thundered and both flinched.

"She is your daughter..." said the first.

"The Sirens were sending a message," said the second. I chose to listen to his answer.

"What?"

"They want war," the second guard told me. I narrowed my eyes.

"How can you be sure?"

"They used our own weapons to kill Roze." I hissed.

Using a mermaid's weapons on a mermaid was an act of the highest treason. 

"Prepare for battle then," I told them wearily and the second guard nodded curtly. The first stared at me in shock.

"Should we not prepare a funer-"

"What on earth for?" I interjected.

The first guard looked shocked. "Queen Nerida. She is a Princess. She is your daughter!"

"And why should that concern me?"

"You little-"

"Watch it," said the second guard.

"No," I stopped them both. "Let him finish. What am I?"

"You're heartless," he spat. "You don't even care about your own child's death."

"If she was foolish enough to patrol alone and to be deceived by the Siren's tricks, then she deserved everything she got," I said calmly. "There is no room for idiocy in the Royal Palace of Atlantis." I looked down on the distraught guard. "You are both dismissed and you-" I waved a vague hand in the first guard's direction, "-are relieved of duty. Good day to you."

They left.

I was alone again.

They might get the wrong idea about your leadership, you know... Why don't you try for some compassion?

I looked around the walls in shock. There was no one here.

Oh I'm here. In your head at least...

How...

You know how.

But the Kitsune have said they would leave us in our peace.

The Kitsune break all their promises. I don't for I am not Kitsune.

Then what are you? And what do you want?

I'm a Jiuweihu but you can call me a friend with an offering.

You are no friend if I know not who you are.

I want your loyalty.

What?

I want to destroy the Kitsune, once and for all. And I want your help.

I have no quarrel with the Kitsune. I would not help.

But you have a quarrel with the Sirens...

I grit my teeth. The Sirens and Mermaids have been enemies for centuries.

So have the Kitsune and the Jiuweihu. I help you with the Sirens and you help me with the Kitsune.

No.

It's a pity, your Majesty.

What is?

That you must deny me. 

Why?

If you do not stand with me, you stand against me. The next time we speak, we will be on opposite sides of a war.

Were we ever on the same side?

I heard a light chuckle.

No, we weren't. Your people will be destroyed by the Sirens without my help. And then the Kitsune will be destroyed without yours.

I'd rather die than help you. 

Then, I'm afraid, you shall.

The Kitsune are the protectors of this world. Kill them and everything will be left to fend for themselves.

No... I will be left to fend for them. 

So we're introduced to a new character here. Queen Nerida. And we're exposed to a bit of the Mermaid Royalties Culture. Not exactly the most sentimental species.

Question of the Day: Have you ever read the memoir Night?

My Answer: I'm reading it in English right now and a lot of people think it's a really slow book but I'm really enjoying it. I think it's all really interesting. It's really terrible what happened, obviously, but it's such an interesting experience not just to read it, but to learn about Elie Wiesel and his mission and background. Even learning about the other characters, like Dr. Mengele or the Angel of Death, who performed grotesque experiments on twins. It's really disturbing.

Anyways, if you haven't read it, I strongly recommend it.

I know I was supposed to update two days ago. I just honestly forgot on Wednesday and then I had such a horrible day yesterday it didn't even cross my mind.

See you next Wednesday!!!

Vote, Comment, and Share!!!

I reverse hate you all!!!