Chapter 17

"Wake up," Arielle hissed to me behind our textbooks. I jumped.

Last night, when Harper had realized that Anvi went missing, I snuck out. Terrible idea really. I'd searched all night to no avail.

"Seriously, Lark, I'm pretty sure you were about to snore," Arielle laughed after class. I scowled.

"I was not," I snapped. "I'm just tired."

"Because you snuck out last night," Ari pointed out. "To look for Anvi, I know. We're all worried."

I frowned. This was probably worse for Arielle, considering the same thing had happened with her surrogate sister last year. "Sorry," I muttered. Ari shrugged.

Aurum was waiting on our porch, nine tails seeming to float around her glowing golden form. "Have you found her?" Harper asked.

"No," Aurum said simply. "I need to speak to Megan and Edward. The rest of you are going to remain in your dorm. I'll send Professor Huxley over to ensure you stay put."

Arielle glared at her shoes. I brushed my shoulder against hers, trying to be comforting. It was irritating to be pushed to the sidelines, I knew, but I was a bit relieve to be far from the action this time around.

Someone grabbed my shoulder. "Anywhere we go, you go too," Megan hissed. My shoulders slumped.

"You've got to be kidding me," I snapped.

"See you later, Lark," Ari sighed.

Aurum led the three of us away from the Dorm Sector and into the rest of the city. "We believe this is a ransom," Aurum divulged. "But we also think that Anvi was not the target."

"Is that good?" I interrupted.

Megan glared at me. "Depends. If they find out they got the wrong person, they might just kill her."

"No," I yelled. Megan looked furious and grabbed my forearm, tight as a vise.

"Shut it, there could be spies," she hissed. Ed grimaced.

"I already checked Megan," Aurum spoke up. "Kindly let Lark go. There was a spy, but they are gone now."

"By spy, do you mean for Crevan, or someone else?" Ed asked.

"I think for someone else," Aurum answered.

"Ravenbourne?" I could here the rising excitement in his voice.

"It's possible," Aurum hesitated. "But I don't think so. I think they left by water."

"Water?" We stopped walking.

"We already sent the Boto to the Mermaids."

"You think the Mermaids kidnapped Anvi?" Megan clarified.

"No," Aurum sighed. "But I think it's time Lark stopped listening. This wasn't for her to hear. We'll continue this conversation when she's in my office. We'll put a guard outside and we can continue our conversation."

"Hey, that's not fair. She's my teammate!" I snapped.

"And Megan and Ed's," Aurum replied tersely.

Megan pushed me towards Aurum's office door, locking it behind me. I pressed my ear to the door as soon as it was closed but no sound penetrated the heavy wooden block.

I slid down the wall to a crouching position. This was going take awhile.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed before they opened the door again.

***

The next morning was the hardest part because I honestly couldn't tell the others much. "They locked me in Aurum's office and I didn't hear anything else."