Chapter 12

Anvi Patel

Lisa looked around uncomfortably. "That's me," she said quietly.

"But you're a Natus," I pointed out. I saw Lark glance at me out of the corner of my eye. "You told us you were a Natus."

"Guess I'm a better liar than I thought," Lisa laughed quietly. "I am a shifter."

"What else did you lie about?" Lark asked coldly.

"Lots, but it was for your own safety," Lisa told us lamely. "At least, that's what Aurum told me. I'm not supposed to tell you now either so, don't bother asking questions."

"That's BS," Arielle muttered. Ryker came out from his room.

"Oh hey, Lisa," he greeted nonchalantly. "Arielle, a pleasure to see you always." Arielle mimed gagging.

"You knew she was our teammate?" I asked him.

"Yeah, thought you did too," Ryker started drinking from a water bottle. "Didn't think it was a huge deal."

"Boys," Harper muttered, rolling her eyes. "What are you guys even doing right now?"

"That new kid? Jonah? He brought a gaming system!" Ryker said enthusiastically. "I've been playing Mario Kart since I got here!"

"Boys," we all muttered together before laughing. Lisa edged around us and went down to her room.

"And Lance just showed up with a dragon!" Ryker continued, not seeming to have heard us. "It's so cool!"

"They're in for a real shock when it speaks," Arielle snorted. "Scavenger Dragons are one of two species that are able to talk to us."

"So there's an Elven Princess?" Harper asked Lark. "And you met her? And she says you're invited to stay with her?"

"Yeah, Megan said something about humans aren't usually allowed or something?" Lark pondered.

"We aren't," Arielle informed us. "The Elven Royalty hasn't allowed anyone but the Foxfire Council into their Kingdom for centuries. That's why no one can tell you where it is."

"Coco said something about being nothing like her father," Lark commented.

"Princess Coco Brystina," I listed off. "Father is King Flinar Brystina and mother is Lorelei."

"King Flinar is known for hostility towards Henge Shifters and NiFi's alike," Arielle added. "His Great-Grandfather was the initiator of the Dwarven Wars. Queen Lorelei is a much kinder ruler. Rumors say that she was coerced into marrying him."

"And then there is Ariawyn Jophyra, head of the Royal Guard. The command of that was passed on to Coco only just a year ago," I continued. "They're doing the traditional Passing of Power. They start with the Royal Guard and gradually add on more responsibility and eventually the old King or Queen has no more power left. Essentially they retire."

"Unless they're assassinated. Then it's lot messier," Arielle pointed out. "That's probably why most Elven princes and princesses don't murder their predecessor. Because it would be so much worse than just being patient."

"The thing with Coco though," Lark sighed. "She wasn't a bad person, I don't think. Just got the wrong friends, you know what I mean." I shrugged.

"I know people like that," I agreed.

There was a knock on the door and Arielle answered, leading Luna, Quinn, Nesia, Hero, and Cander into our dorm.

"So, I just want to clear this up now," Luna said immediately. "This is going to be a quiet year, right?"