Chapter 39

Luna Ulric

The key to fighting Sirens was jumping around. If you stayed fighting one for too long they'd distract you but if you constantly hopped from one to the other, they'd never have a chance to shift.

The downside? I was losing energy twice as fast. I rolled behind a bush to catch my breath. I peered through the branches and watched everyone else. Quinn was still battling an army of Anvis while the real Anvi rode a lion to avoid seeing what her Siren would become.

Ingenious way to avoid awkward conversations later. Jonah was going so fast, he was just a streak across the shore at this point. Everywhere I looked, I saw broken blades and weapons and I couldn't help but a be a little proud.

I might as well accept that he was going to be my little brother, right? A pain in my ass, but still family.

"Are you alright?" Hero came around the corner. At least, I thought it was him for a split second.

In daylight, I could now clearly see that my Siren had black hair. So black I could barely see the sun shining on it, if that were possible. Gray eyes stared out of Hero's head seductively.

I actually almost laughed. This wasn't the Hero I knew. "You just look annoying," I laughed but before I finished, fake Hero lunged forward with a sword I hadn't even seen and I squeezed my eyes shut in expectation of pain.

I heard a sharp clang and someone shoving me aside. Opening my eyes, I saw Hero battling Hero. It took me a moment to determine who was the real one but almost as soon as I had, Hero had jabbed his sword through the fake one's chest.

He turned to me, panting. "Are you trying to tell me that I should dye my hair?" He joked. I laughed, shaking my head, and pushing myself back to standing.

"My Hero," I sighed, hugging him tightly.

"Yeah, yeah," he rolled his eyes. "I told you though." This time I rolled my eyes.

"Let's go!" I ordered and he ran towards the next wave of Sirens. I followed closely, blocking him from attacks in the back. We stood back to back, Sirens circling us.

When I turned, I finally saw Hero's Siren. Her red hair curled a bit at the end and before I even had a chance to take in the rest of her, I leapt on her back, bowling her over.

She looked nothing like anyone I knew and I didn't want to see her anymore. I threw her away from me and pelted across the battlefield. "Luna!"

"I'm going to help Quinn," I spat.

Maybe that was unfair but battles tend to bring out the worst in people. I ran towards Quinn, where the Mermaids were endlessly rising from the water and watched her jump off a lion's shoulders like a vault.

A horn sounded and a figure covered in pearly barnacles rose from the waves.

Update 3...

I'll probably do four updates since these were shorter chapters.

Question of the Chapter: Let's go back to favorites. Favorite Soda?

My Answer: Diet Coke