Chapter 45

Arielle Clements

I watched Lark dance with Ed for a long time. I was glad she finally did something about her crush. Everyone could tell she liked him. Well, maybe everyone except Ed.

I nudged Megan. "Aren't they so cute?" I asked her.

Megan frowned in their direction and grunted before turning her gaze back to the treetops.

"What is it?" I asked, following her eyes.

"Nothing," she replied gruffly and I stopped asking questions.

Megan's face faded back into good cheer so quickly, I knew it had to be fake. Something was wrong but I couldn't tell what.

I still didn't fully forgive her for not helping the night Bailey left but I understood now that Bailey really had never been our friend. Megan had done almost nothing to show that she was unworthy of my trust.

I closed my eyes briefly thinking of the summer ahead of me. Normally, I would have gone back to the orphanage, Goldbay, with their rules and regulations and jail-like walls. Aurum had made special arrangements weeks ago for me to stay with Farindah, for at least part of the summer.

I couldn't decide if I was excited for it or not. I would no doubt see Kailani and I wasn't ready to see her hatred more often. On the other hand, I wouldn't be alone.

"I think I'm gonna leave," Megan broke into my thoughts. I nodded and watched as she faded into the shadows.

With Lark dancing and Megan gone, there was no real reason for me to stick around so I started to pack up my camping chair, thinking Megan and I could at least hang out at the dorms.

"Arielle!" someone yelled and I cringed.

"Yes, Ryker?" I sighed.

"I have a question for you," he told me. He looked so cheesy with a nice button down shirt and a flower in his hands. "Will you go out with me?"

A small crowd of people had gathered and was looking intently on the scene in front of us. My face grew hot and I frowned. "No." I turned swiftly on my heel, forcing myself not to watch his face fall, and practically ran from Oakhaven.

When I reached my dorm, I put a hand in my pocket, feeling a sheet of paper. I pulled out a corner of notebook paper.

And the truth will be revealed of the oath they swore... Coffee in Savannah Sector. June 10th at 5:00am.

Update 2...

Question of the Chapter: Say something to make me laugh.