Chapter 24

Luna Ulric

"I can't wait for Wednesday!"

I looked over Hero's head, watching a few younger girls giggle and talk about Halloween. "When was the last time the Jack O' Lantern Jaunt was at Vale?" one girl asked.

"Nine years ago, dummy," the other snickered. "It cycles through the schools and there are nine."

"Jack O' Lantern Jaunt?" I muttered.

Hero glanced up at me and nodded. "It's a huge festival. Shifters from all over the world come, carve pumpkins, et cetera, et cetera."

"We should go and walk around," Quinn jumped in. "It's almost like going around and looking at Christmas lights, but at Halloween."

"Yeah, but it's a school night," Hero pointed out.

"Come on, Hero," Quinn begged. "We won't be able to do this again for nine years! That's forever!"

"We're going to get the chance again in nine years, like you said. Then we'll be out of school and don't have to worry about curfew," Hero pointed out.

"You're such a party pooper," I snorted. "Come on, live a little. Let's go."

Hero rolled his eyes and shrugged. "Whatever. As long as we don't get caught."

"I'm pretty sure our curfew is extended that night anyways," Nesia commented, looking up from her textbook. "So there's nothing to worry about."

"Oh thank God," Hero sighed. I rolled my eyes at him.

***

"Sirens are often more beautiful than mermaids. Mermaids are also very beautiful but often less attractive to humans due to their bristly hair and colored skin," Professor Wilson droned. "There skin can range from greens and yellow to purple. I have even heard accounts of mermaids with deep maroon skin.

"Mermaids and sirens both fall into the category of Humanoids. Elves, dwarves, and centaurs would also fit into this category. It is possible for these creatures to shift. In fact, all sirens are shifters, but of a different variety.

"Are there any questions?" I looked up at the clock. Class was almost over for the day. "Great, I hope you all have fun at the Jack O' Lantern Jaunt tomorrow night. Just a few rules. The Festival starts at seven but you must be back in your dorms by ten. There is to be no..."

I tuned out the rest of his speech, just begging time to slide by faster. I wished it was already Wednesday.

"Luna, you coming?" Hero asked, getting up.

"Yeah."

"Let's go on down to the Water Sector, how about?" Nesia suggested.

Hero grimaced but agreed following the twins out of the lecture hall. Cander and I trailed behind the three of them.

"Hey, how are you?" I asked him, trying to break the awkwardness.

"Fine," he mumbled, just audible. I watched him closely. His eyes flicked back and forth from the ground to Nesia's long hair.

"Hey, just because she always beats you, doesn't mean that you're a bad fighter," I tried to comfort.

"Huh?"

"Nesia," I explained. "You held your own against that other Thunderbird last year. So don't feel bad, okay?"

"I don't?" Cander squinted at me.

"Oh, sorry," I muttered. "Must have misread you."

"No problem," he muttered, looking back to Nesia's hair.